16 wk old hen had hay sticking out of vent

southburychicks

In the Brooder
Jul 7, 2015
Southbury, CT
she was messy on her backside. I cleaned her off with warm water and dried her gently after pulling hay out of her vent that was stuck. Less than 20 minutes later she was flopping around in the pen and broke her neck. Kids are devastated that she's gone. Did I cause this? I'm heartbroken

So sorry about your pullet. I doubt you caused the problem. I have had to wash and clean birds from time to time and never had any ill effects. When you say her backside was messy, what exactly was is like? She might have been sick. Be sure to check the rest of your flock just in case.

She may have had an impacted digestive tract from eating hay. When chickens die, they can go through neurological symptoms including a twisted neck. Long grasses, hay, and straw can all clog up the plumbing. Keeping grass cut short, and using pine shavings, sand, or other bedding may help. So sorry for your loss.

She may have had an impacted digestive tract from eating hay. When chickens die, they can go through neurological symptoms including a twisted neck. Long grasses, hay, and straw can all clog up the plumbing. Keeping grass cut short, and using pine shavings, sand, or other bedding may help. So sorry for your loss. 
Should I not be using hay in their nesting boxes?? Now I'm afraid the others will eat it!

Back
Top Bottom