16 x 12 Coop

Pics
JT, do you have a plan for this or did you wing it? My dad decided to buy me a shed rather than help me build a coop, but I know I’ll want to replace the standard vents with something much beefier like yours.

Well I have somewhat of a plan in my head just from looking at other coops on here and from my experience with the first coop (that reads from the experience I got from making a lot of mistakes). I usually just wing it but my second idea is usually better than the first lol. I built the shed some years ago as a place to do garden things for my wife but she never got into it so it turned into a junk shed. For now the plan is to have the front half or so for chicken storage and garden tools etc. The back half will be the coop with a roost along the back wall and a 30" deep poop board under that. The front wall of the coop area will have the roll out nest box.

I plan on feed and water inside the coop just need to sort out some kind of drain for the spilled water.

The shed now has soffit vents but to be sure I built the louver vents. The plan at this moment is to have the front vent with a 20" box fan blowing inside so it does not collect dust as much as one that blows out. That will be for additional summer comfort. the plan is to block off the rear vent in the summer and have the side windows open so air from the front goes out the rear side windows. Just have to see how that works out.

JT

I plan on feed and water inside the coop just need to sort out some kind of drain for the spilled water.
I'm kinda thinking of a pan like the kind you can get for water heaters filled with pea gravel and the drain going outside.JT
That would work......or you could just go with HN's and avoid the mess altogether ;) :D

Well I have somewhat of a plan in my head just from looking at other coops on here and from my experience with the first coop (that reads from the experience I got from making a lot of mistakes). I usually just wing it but my second idea is usually better than the first lol.
I should have been more specific, I was talking about the vent in particular, was that a build as you go, or were you working from a template?

I should have been more specific, I was talking about the vent in particular, was that a build as you go, or were you working from a template?

I sorta based it on this one but changed mine up a bit to suit my construction style and methods.

louvers-01.jpg louvers-02.jpg

I used pocket screws to build the 2x4 frame and used pocket screws to build the face frame upper part. The face frame is nailed with the pin nailer. You really don't need the dado cuts but I had the tool so I did. I used pin nails to fasten the slats in position. I don't even think that the angle long edge cuts on the slats are more than just an aesthetic thing and not really needed unless you go with full width slats and want to cover the back side with HC or something.

Can you spot the mistake? Yea, that one is on the back side of the building lol.

JT

I sorta based it on this one but changed mine up a bit to suit my construction style and methods.

View attachment 1606405 View attachment 1606406

I used pocket screws to build the 2x4 frame and used pocket screws to build the face frame upper part. The face frame is nailed with the pin nailer. You really don't need the dado cuts but I had the tool so I did. I used pin nails to fasten the slats in position. I don't even think that the angle long edge cuts on the slats are more than just an aesthetic thing and not really needed unless you go with full width slats and want to cover the back side with HC or something.

Can you spot the mistake? Yea, that one is on the back side of the building lol.

JT
Awesome, I didn't realize that the frame was 2x4, that puts it in a much better perspective for me! I think I can duplicate it now, or at least a version that will match the shed I'm getting. And no, I couldn't spot the mistake? :confused:

p.s. thanks for the link!

It's not too easy to spot in a perspective view but the arrows give it away.
louvers-02m.jpg

In a front view it is very easy to see that I got a bit dyslexic and cut an inch too much off the left side.
louvers-05.jpg

JT

Back
Top Bottom