16 x 12 Coop

Pics
Initially I had a hardboard door but it was not flat enough to operate consistently so I replaced it with a 12" x 12" aluminum plate from Menards.

pop-door-01.jpg pop-door-02.jpg
pop-door-03.jpg pop-door-04.jpg

The door frame is 2x4's for the stiles and 1x4's for the rails. I used pocket screws to attach the rails to the stiles. I found some molding at Menards that I liked the profile of and used glue and pin nails to fasten it to the stiles as a guide for the door. The one exception is the upper right one that has the magnetic switches mounted to it. The guides could really be anything I was just being picky lol.
pop-door-05.jpg pop-door-06.jpg
pop-door-07.jpg

@Ted Brown I have to take the door out later today to cut the hole in the wall if you need any more photos let me know.

JT

Didn't quite finish up the west wall yesterday but got close... 24 days till the chicks ship.

Building the frame and covering it with aluminum screen then hardware cloth.
window-22.jpg
window-23.jpg
window-24.jpg

Temporarily in position to keep the bugs out while I finish up the wall.
window-25.jpg window-26.jpg

Got the pop door hole cut out so now I can finish up the wall today.
window-27.jpg

JT

Got the west wall back together, just need to make some trim for the windows...
window-28.jpg

And clean up and put away...
tools-01.jpg

Next is a cat fence for the deck (silly indoor cat wants some fresh air I guess) then on to the brooder design/build.

But first I'll take some time out for a ride on the mountain bike so I can get some fresh air and see nature.

JT

Didn't get a whole lot done today, went for a long ride on the mountain bike this morning before it got hot. Found some southern yellow pine that was clear but warped a bit and made some window trim. Spent 2 hours searching for my 100' air hose so I only got one window done.

I'm happy with the results.
window-29.jpg

Also with two 40" x 36" openings it is much cooler in the coop now, I was very concerned about the heat as in the past it was very hot and miserable in there during the summer months.

So the She Shed is almost done being converted to a chick hotel.

JT

Back
Top Bottom