16 x 12 Coop

Pics
I got quite a surprise when I turned on the fans the other day as it was getting rather hot in the coop. Everyone in a flash was under the chair in the Southwest corner... hmm was it the noise or the motion of the blades? So I hooked up a variable voltage device and tried very slow... same result. Ok it must be the motion of the blades. So after some searching for just the right size cardboard box I finally found one and made some fan boxes to hide the moving blades.

I laid out and cut the vents and attached some left over bits of trim and wood strip to the sides to attach it to the ceiling.
fan-box-01.jpg

fan-box-02.jpg fan-box-03.jpg

Turned them on slow and no reaction from the chicks so I sped them up to normal low speed and still no reaction. What a difference it makes on a hot day.

JT

Finally got the awning over the East window completed... I thought it would never stop raining long enough to paint it before covering it. The wife suggested clear so the sun could shine in and I think that worked well.
awning-01.jpg
awning-02.jpg

JT

That reminds me of the cardboard 'duct' I built for an exhaust fan over my concrete mixer.

I installed my fan the other day, broody chicks didn't like it, but got used to it pretty quick.
Of course they have the whole flock, and mama, to show them the way.
Wishing I had adjustable louvers on mine so I could direct the air flow.
Was thinking cardboard might work...MindGrinding.

It's our birthday and we are 4 weeks old today. I finally had an excuse to work on the exhaust of the car today too wet to work outside.

Not much left of the brooder, been removing it bit by bit so no big change. This has worked much better than last time stuffing them in a carrier and moving to a new location was so dramatic lol.

5-27-20-01.jpg

JT

Did some sperimenting with a new feeder design. I want to mount it in the wall with just the feeder end sticking through the wall but before I make a bigger one I'm going to test the design on a smaller one or three.

All the parts are just glued together.
feedermk3-01.jpg
feedermk3-02.jpg
feedermk3-03.jpg
feedermk3-04.jpg
feedermk3-05.jpg
feedermk3-06.jpg
feedermk3-07.jpg
feedermk3-08.jpg

JT

Interestingly the chicks prefer the new feeders and very seldom use the original one. I have two in there now and a third with some slight changes in progress.

JT

I took the driveway camera down as it was not in a good position and put it on the opposite wall of the coop so I can see both sides well.

6-4-20-01.jpg

They get the idea of roosting up high as all of them were on the window tray and the top of the walkway wall last night. I'll remove the walls today but leave the walkway for a bit. I moved them to the perch and they stayed there all night.
6-4-20-02.jpg

JT

Back
Top Bottom