17 week old hen/rooster blood by tail stubs

MotherHen23

In the Brooder
Aug 23, 2023
We are raising chickens for the first time. Ruthster who we have thought might be a Rooster because of his one or two tall curved feathers which he has had for quite a while. His back end is visible and reddish and when I’ve taken pics appeared to have stubs like feathers growing in. The other hens occasionally go by and peck at it but never aggressively and same as s/he has done to them. I purchased an anti-pecking product kind of purple paint since red I understand is what attracts the pecking. Before I had a chance to put on this afternoon I noticed blood I had not seen before but had stopped. We then applied the anti pecking product. I have some of what it looked like yesterday and today before we put on the product. Is there something else we should do? Will it’s feathers still grow?

Attachments

• IMG_2541.jpeg
    IMG_2541.jpeg
    475.4 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_2542.jpeg
    IMG_2542.jpeg
    539 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_5379.jpeg
    IMG_5379.jpeg
    517.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_2545.jpeg
    IMG_2545.jpeg
    582.1 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_5368.jpeg
    IMG_5368.jpeg
    494.4 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_5348.jpeg
    IMG_5348.jpeg
    371 KB · Views: 14
Hello! Use saline or warm soapy water to clean up the blood and then slather with plain antibiotic cream. Once the wounds scab he can be reintroduced into the flock. How many chickens do you have? How big is the space? What are you feeding them?

Hello! Use saline or warm soapy water to clean up the blood and then slather with plain antibiotic cream. Once the wounds scab he can be reintroduced into the flock. How many chickens do you have? How big is the space? What are you feeding them?
There are 7 of them. 2 barred rock, 2 buff Orpington’s, 1 RI Red, 1 RI Blue and 1 Cochin. Here are pictures of the coop and inside run (6’x 3’) when weather allows open doors and they have outdoor area about 6’x5’. I have cameras in all three areas an have reviewed video last 24 hours saw only 3 occasions where one pecked once saw him/her pick at self once or twice. Nothing aggressive or continuous.
They are still on grower crumble which mixing with layer feed they have access to all day. They get treats of mealworms and or veggies and fruit daily.

Attachments

• IMG_2533.jpeg
    IMG_2533.jpeg
    905.9 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_1220.png
    IMG_1220.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 16
We are raising chickens for the first time. Ruthster who we have thought might be a Rooster because of his one or two tall curved feathers which he has had for quite a while. His back end is visible and reddish and when I’ve taken pics appeared to have stubs like feathers growing in. The other hens occasionally go by and peck at it but never aggressively and same as s/he has done to them. I purchased an anti-pecking product kind of purple paint since red I understand is what attracts the pecking. Before I had a chance to put on this afternoon I noticed blood I had not seen before but had stopped. We then applied the anti pecking product. I have some of what it looked like yesterday and today before we put on the product. Is there something else we should do? Will it’s feathers still grow?
The barring LOOKS like a 'dominicker' pullet (the comb isn't right for a dominique) Some have one or two long tail feathers that curl on the tip.

Last edited:
I have camera in coop and reviewed. Nothing. No sound of distress either. Ruthster does much of the chasing and occasional peck. Pollito one of our feisty buffs may see a peck on a drive by or trying to get them off the top perch. Have not seen any real “bullying” or persistent pecking behavior. They have drenched neck face off at times. I have and watch a lot of video and did see more of it when they did not have outside run which I did not finish till a few weeks ago. I don’t open gate too it overnight or in bad weather.

Back
Top Bottom