18 weeks and I still can't tell gender of hamburgh x

My 9 year old daughter is shaking her head and saying "why do they keep saying it's a roo when it's obviously a hen."
bun.gif

I have just locked them up for the night so will try to get a better photo in the morning of the saddle feathers.

I just thought heshe would have laid an egg by now or tried to crow...
th.gif

It is certainly old enough to do either.

I think point of lay pullet too. All my girls have the blue bit on the side of there heads and none of my boys did.

Good luck x

Quote:
No, not yet? Heshe is 20 weeks old now so has got to do something in the next two weeks?

I have kept all my chickens locked up the last few days as I have not got eggs from any of them, when they free range they usually go back into the coop to lay but nothing for the past 4 days so I am keeping them locked up in their coop and run, i just want to make sure they are actually laying and have not stopped.

you see it has been quite cold (around 12-15degres through the day) so they may have decided just to stop laying.

I am going with a pullet...but from looking at those saddle feathers it sure could be a roo...nah...definitely a pullet! It does have a really big full comb though...but you said she acts like a pullet. I am going with pullet..for sure.
barnie.gif

Seriously I think its a pullet...could be a roo though.
idunno.gif
It's really hard to tell because its so pure white. I can tell you one thing for sure...its a beautiful bird whatever its sex is.
wink.png

SEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!! I TOLD you he was a ROO!!! Absolutely NO doubt about it!!! That is a Roo!!!
lau.gif

If any of you others need any advice on sexing young birds, feel free to ask me! So far I am 100 percent!
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom