19 and a half weeks old and still no eggs :( egg countdown anyone??

My girls are 21 weeks old today and none have started laying just yet. Should I switch them over to laying feed or wait until they start laying to switch them over?
I would use up what I had left of chick or grower feed and next bag buy layer ration.......20% protein is good in winter if you can find it but 16% is sufficient. The layer ration just has more calcium mainly. I also put free choice oyster shells in a cat food can nailed to coop post, before my girls started laying, they just spread the stuff all over, now they eat it pretty vigorously, i do have some super layer hens, they rarely take a day off, so i try to give them pretty high quality snacks(sunflower meats, yogurt, and I mix it with layer pellets to give it texture) not alot of table scraps, unless it's protein like fish or beef scraps. They free range alot too so eat lots of grass.......

goodpost.gif

My girls are 21 weeks old today and none have started laying just yet. Should I switch them over to laying feed or wait until they start laying to switch them over?
Switch them now....you can switch over as early as 18 weeks...they need to start getting the extra calcium in their systems.

Still nothing :(.... 27 1/2 weeks now. Desdemona seems to squat even when you just stick your hand in her direction, Nosey has been squatting for weeks but no eggs... Looks like the faverolles (pinky and perky) are getting ready to squat...The three brahmas don't look ready, I don't really expect much from the cochins in the way of eggs so I understand... the phoenix (phoebe), redcap(titfer) and the golden campine(speedy) all look ready but no squatting happening. chickens everywhere and not an egg in sight.. LOL!!!

They look fat and happy, everyone was wormed a few weeks ago, they have layer pellets to eat, grit and calcium (either eggshells or oyster) all available...

Don't think there is much else I can do...

Still nothing :(.... 27 1/2 weeks now. Desdemona seems to squat even when you just stick your hand in her direction, Nosey has been squatting for weeks but no eggs... Looks like the faverolles (pinky and perky) are getting ready to squat...The three brahmas don't look ready, I don't really expect much from the cochins in the way of eggs so I understand... the phoenix (phoebe), redcap(titfer) and the golden campine(speedy) all look ready but no squatting happening. chickens everywhere and not an egg in sight.. LOL!!!

They look fat and happy, everyone was wormed a few weeks ago, they have layer pellets to eat, grit and calcium (either eggshells or oyster) all available...

Don't think there is much else I can do...
Unfortunately it's a waiting game....27 1/2 isn't "old" by any means....some on here didn't start till like 30 or even more!! Hopefully not that long for yours.....good luck!

Back
Top Bottom