19 and a half weeks old and still no eggs :( egg countdown anyone??

How old are they? My Barred Rock is 19 weeks 1 day and squatting up a storm, but no eggs yet.....She is the boss biddie and talks talks talks!!! We call her the "Speckeled Bit#*" but her real name is Gertrude or "Gertie" after my grandma
smile.png
My two adults are 1 year 4 months and the babies just tuned three months so i have another month or so with them. while they were brooding over the babies i got no eggs and before treats and toys i was getting one egg a day now that they get treats it has gotten to two eggs a day. it just takes time.... mine origionallly started laying about 21 weeks old

I'm not really waiting for my very first egg anymore but there are first eggs yet to come! Just got our first yesterday/Sunday. We have 2 'red pullets', 3 buff orpington hen and a buff orpington rooster. One of the reds is for sure laying, I got two between yesterday and Sunday and one today; not sure if it's more than one laying or just the one so far. They are....23 weeks old! The reds got their combs/wattles and turned bright red in early July. My rooster was crowing in early July and I thought for sure I'd get eggs then (16-17 weeks is when the reds really looked to me like they would lay 'any day') I checked daily for weeks, missed a day and eggs! LOL I did switch them to layer feed last week despite no eggs because I just was not going to buy another bag of starter with them being 22 weeks old. Anyways, one of my buffs is pretty red (at first glance today when they were free ranging, just looking at her face, I almost mistook her for our rooster) and the other two are still pretty pale. I did get to hear the egg song this morning as I was cleaning the coop but honestly I never heard it before. She did lay today too but it broke because she's not laying in the box. Hopefully she'll start soon! Anyways, I had been talking a big booyah party this fall and now they may be saved ;) At 23 weeks old I hope the others aren't too far behind her!

Last edited:
Having your RIR in with the youngins won't affect her laying when she's ready, just make sure you have a nest box open for her to use. I would suggest putting a dummy egg in it too. Also might want to make sure your younger girls aren't sleeping in the nest cuz then you'll have poopy eggs, good luck!
thumbsup.gif
Finally got our first egg today!!! Its so tiny, but its beautiful!! I cant believe all the anticipation waiting for it
celebrate.gif
It was so cool to open the nest box lid and find it in there!!!

Now I am looking forward to see what happens tomorrow. And in a few more weeks I should have two more girls ready to start laying woot woot

thumbsup.gif
Finally got our first egg today!!! Its so tiny, but its beautiful!! I cant believe all the anticipation waiting for it
celebrate.gif
It was so cool to open the nest box lid and find it in there!!!

Now I am looking forward to see what happens tomorrow. And in a few more weeks I should have two more girls ready to start laying woot woot
its fun inst it

My countdown continues. Today, for the first time properly, Twofry (the eldest RIR) crouched when I approached her and put my hand over her. Sat there like a good girl for almost a minute. Should be days or maybe a couple of weeks now :)

still waiting & waiting & waiting..............................................................& waiting..

its killing me!!!!!! i only have two, there w leghorns so from what ive read once they start there awsome layers. i know im getting close any day now but im telling ya its killing me. im new at this & i love the birds but u can keep this waiting on eggs biz. LOL

Back
Top Bottom