19 and a half weeks old and still no eggs :( egg countdown anyone??

Check out the size of this egg that Rascal laid today. It is by far her largest one yet. The egg carton doesn't want to close. I'm hoping for a double yoke.
celebrate.gif

I really can't get over this. Did you weigh it? Did it have a double yolk?

Our biggest egg was 3.1 ounces, which is plenty large, but nowhere near the size of that thing!

I was reading about those shell-within-a-shell eggs over at this site of strange eggs.

http://www.poultryhelp.com/oddeggs.html

We had an egg with a tail once.

What?
idunno.gif
what does an egg with a tail look like?
lau.gif

It was from our very sweet but more than a little bit "special" Cuckoo Marans, so it was almost completely round, dark brown blotchy coating on the shell (as the dark brown eggs tend to be), a little larger than a golf ball, and had what looked like a thin tail or stem sticking out. The link I posted above has a photo of an egg very similar. I don't think I took any pictures, but I'll check.

One interesting detail was that the "tail" was kinda like a tube ... I think stuff was leaking out of it. We didn't feel like eating it, but our dog did.
gig.gif

That CM hen was such a site as a chick ... she was the only one of her breed we were able to reserve, and we got there late to pick up our birds and she was the only one left ... clearly everyone had rejected her. She looked wet with bald spots, just pathetic, but nothing "raw." She still has issues with her feathers (apparently some kind of genetic condition), and was picked on a lot when she was growing, so spent a fair amount of time in the hospital pen. She was usually in there with one of the pure-white Easter Eggers, and now they are fast friends, always together. We call them Cuckoo and Buddy for obvious reasons. Cuckoo struggles to lay "decent" eggs. She tends to produce fragile eggs, sometimes with almost no shell coating. She has laid a few from the roosts at night. Poor darling thing. She isn't the most friendly bird, but I love her to BITS.

I really can't get over this. Did you weigh it? Did it have a double yolk?

Our biggest egg was 3.1 ounces, which is plenty large, but nowhere near the size of that thing!

I was reading about those shell-within-a-shell eggs over at this site of strange eggs.

http://www.poultryhelp.com/oddeggs.html

We had an egg with a tail once.

Well I just weighed the egg on my husbands non-digital postage scale and it came in at 3oz. Her normal size egg appears to be around 2oz. Of course I haven't cracked it yet, but Sunday morning breakfast might be a good time.

It was from our very sweet but more than a little bit "special" Cuckoo Marans, so it was almost completely round, dark brown blotchy coating on the shell (as the dark brown eggs tend to be), a little larger than a golf ball, and had what looked like a thin tail or stem sticking out. The link I posted above has a photo of an egg very similar. I don't think I took any pictures, but I'll check.

One interesting detail was that the "tail" was kinda like a tube ... I think stuff was leaking out of it. We didn't feel like eating it, but our dog did.
gig.gif

That CM hen was such a site as a chick ... she was the only one of her breed we were able to reserve, and we got there late to pick up our birds and she was the only one left ... clearly everyone had rejected her. She looked wet with bald spots, just pathetic, but nothing "raw." She still has issues with her feathers (apparently some kind of genetic condition), and was picked on a lot when she was growing, so spent a fair amount of time in the hospital pen. She was usually in there with one of the pure-white Easter Eggers, and now they are fast friends, always together. We call them Cuckoo and Buddy for obvious reasons. Cuckoo struggles to lay "decent" eggs. She tends to produce fragile eggs, sometimes with almost no shell coating. She has laid a few from the roosts at night. Poor darling thing. She isn't the most friendly bird, but I love her to BITS.
Aw, what a sad, sweet little story...I want a Maran for the cocoa colored eggs
roll.png

Ok I have a question. What does the egg song sound like? I have a hen, which I'm 99% positive that is a hen, she is also a silver campine. She has grown a large comb (for her size) and wattles and they are bright red. She has been growing them for I would say about a month, the comb and wattles came in very quickly. All of the sudden she has started screeching and its usually once or twice a day for the last few days. It almost sounds like a cat in heat. At first I really thought there was a cat outside screeching. She will go on and on for maybe 10-15 minutes screeching. Would it be the egg song I'm looking for? Do campines screech like that when they sing the egg song?

Ok I have a question. What does the egg song sound like? I have a hen, which I'm 99% positive that is a hen, she is also a silver campine. She has grown a large comb (for her size) and wattles and they are bright red. She has been growing them for I would say about a month, the comb and wattles came in very quickly. All of the sudden she has started screeching and its usually once or twice a day for the last few days. It almost sounds like a cat in heat. At first I really thought there was a cat outside screeching. She will go on and on for maybe 10-15 minutes screeching. Would it be the egg song I'm looking for? Do campines screech like that when they sing the egg song?
Nevermind, Othello has started laying eggs. I found it under the ramp to the coop unfortunately it was cracked. Not sure if I have an egg eating chicken or if it broke itself. I'm going to have to look sooner tomorrow as long as it isn't cracked.

How old was your silver campine when it laid it's first egg? I have a gold campine. She's 22 weeks old but hasn't developed her comb yet. I was just wondering how much longer I'm going to have to wait.
droolin.gif

Congrats!!! I have an EE named Noodle and another named Kabob (or Kebab, depending on where you're from). She hasn't laid yet and for a second I thought I was losing my mind, like maybe I had written this and forgotten that she had started laying!!
LOL!
lol.png
My Noodle laid her first egg and then didn't lay her second for a whole week. Now I've gotten 4 eggs in the last 2 days, some of them with no shell. I think someone else is laying too but I have no idea who! Twice-whoever it is-has laid them up on the roost. I've got a mystery on my hands.
hu.gif

Back
Top Bottom