19 week old with bad leg

Zealo

Chirping
5 Years
Oct 8, 2014
Hi, I'll just start off that I'm rather new to keeping chicken, so when something like this comes up, I'm rather puzzled
My girl, Mim (Rhode Island Red) is going to be 19 weeks old and I've noticed her not favoring her right leg.
Most of the time, she walks somewhat the same as the other girl accept the fact that she brings her bad leg up higher, but motion is still smooth. There is no cut or swelling on her leg.

After it got really cold last night, I noticed that she seems to favor it even less.
Sometimes she just stands on her good leg and stands, or continues to walk around, except retracts the foot longer then her usual rhythm. She doesn't give any cry's of pain and when testing spots, she doesn't pull her leg away.
Normally she gets around perfectly well and is able to do everything the other two can.

I've given her a small piece of crushed aspirin to see if its pain and also retired her to the coop sooner so she stays warm, with plenty of complaining from her of course.

Any ideas what going on with my little girl and what I can do to help her??

Sometimes we get a chicken like this and it will maybe last 3 days at most and will be fine, sometimes heals within a day. your case could be worse but unless you see any problems with behaviour i would just try and keep an eye on her.

When I let the girls out this morning, mim was walking around "her" normal way again.
I don't think its something that will heal in a few days, seeing as she's been walking around like this for more then just a few days.
It doesn't seem to bother her unless it gets really cold.

I just want to know what maybe going on, or if there's anything I can do??

If there is a vet to go to maybe go to them as they can generally at least diagnose it.

Also just help her down from the perch or other things that may hurt her can make it easier for her.

The vets in my area wouldn't even know what to do with a chicken.
When a chicken goes bad, you butch it.

Thankfully for perch part, the way we made the coop keeps the perch's low to the ground, so she doesn't even have to jump down.
I just can't figure out what she did to hurt the leg.

Took her out yesterday, brought her inside, and had her in my lap. Was checking her legs again to see if there was a warm spot or swelling, or even to see if she'd flinch it away.

She just laid there patiently while I was feeling her legs, didn't give a hoot what so ever.

For a chicken who walks like the leg is irritating her, she sure doesn't act like it.

Back
Top Bottom