1mo Muscovy Duckling - Can't walk

Virdriux

Chirping
Apr 6, 2020
Hello! About a month ago, one of my muscovy hens hatched 4 ducklings from her eggs. She and her ducklings been separated from the rest of the flock and given ample space. I recently switched the ducklings from crumble (for ducks) to pellets. Today, one of the ducklings seem to have lost their ability to walk. They have difficulty standing, lose balance and then roll onto their back. Their head shakes a little, but they seem alert.

From what I know, this seems like a neurological problem, especially since the rest of the clutch isn't having these issues. Is there something we can do? Is this an issue that might go away, where the duckling will be able to walk in the future?
image1.jpg
image0.jpg

I'd keep them on crumbles for longer too. Just my opinion on that one.
I'd rec you try Liquid B complex if it's a niacin def they usually show improvement in less than a week. Usually, 2-4 weeks is when niacin def starts showing up.
TSC carries a liquid B complex that will say injectable but we give it orally.
This will give you info on does and how to give it.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/niacin-deficiency-in-waterfowl.1367557/
please keep us updated, what a precious little one.

Is the duckling getting any extra niacin (b vitamin) ? Ducklings often need more than is provided in the food. Some use brewers yeast and others use liquid B vitamins.
We haven't been adding additional brewer's yeast to the food, as it is duck feed and already contains niacin. We've been using this feed for ducklings for a few years now, without issue, and so didn't think to do so. I know niacin is the go-to for any walking problems, but the duckling's legs aren't bowed or pigeon toed. With the way they seem incapable of stabilizing their head, I'm worried it's something else.

Okay so giving the liquid B complex isn't something you'd try to see if it will help?
Also, add a vitamin E prick the capsule, and squirt overfeed.
Even feeding the best food there can still be one or more end up with a niacin deficiency and since it is easily treatable it's a good way of eliminating if that could possibly be what it is. Vitamin E 400mgs is used to treat wry neck and stargazing so why not give it a try along with the liquid B complex if you think this could be neurological. The bowed legs and pigeon toes come later after they have had the def for a while and not been treated.

Okay so giving the liquid B complex isn't something you'd try to see if it will help?
Also, add a vitamin E prick the capsule, and squirt overfeed.
Even feeding the best food there can still be one or more end up with a niacin deficiency and since it is easily treatable it's a good way of eliminating if that could possibly be what it is. Vitamin E 400mgs is used to treat wry neck and stargazing so why not give it a try along with the liquid B complex if you think this could be neurological. The bowed legs and pigeon toes come later after they have had the def for a while and not been treated.
I am willing to try! It’s just I’m not seeing anyone saying niacin deficiency could be responsible for the duckling’s head essentially vibrating. I’m worried that whatever’s causing them to not be able to stabilize their head could be indicative of a larger problem, and terrified that it could worsen before any niacin could have the time to work.

I would treat like you would for wry neck. I believe that is why @Miss Lydia is recommending vitamin e. It is usually given in conjunction with selenium to help with absorption. The vitamin b complex definitely won't hurt as it has more than just niacin and is beneficial in many ways.
What duck feed are they on? Crumbles or pellets wouldn't matter unless the duck isn't eating.
The other thing to consider is that the duckling might have eaten something toxic.

I'd do both the liquid b complex
and the vitamin E sure won't hurt and may just help. If you add selenium please read up on stargazing and wry neck so you get the correct amt of selenium to give. Or take your duckling to the vet and let them examine it. One thing we aren't is vets. We do try and help the best we can.

Hi guys, my 6 weeks old duckling suddenly can't stand properly. Once it try standing it start like shaking back and front. It cannot it because of that. What should I do? they are about 18 but the rest are just fine. I am new in duck farming.

Back
Top Bottom