Muscovy ducks, duckling

I didnt even know poultry cell liquid was a thing, thank you. Is a mix i buy at a local feed store. Where i am at there is not "duck focus foods" is mainly for chickens and roosters so i buy a maintenance one for rooster. It contains corn, sorghum, wheat, oat, rice, peas and 2 kinds of pellets (brown one made of soy and 2 other things and a red one that has vitamins A, D, E, complex B [B1, B2, B6 and B12] Vitamin K, calcium and other minerals.
I get a 6 way scratch grains that looks similar but it’s only a treat.

Last edited:
Does it say how much niacin reason asking is niacin deficiency is pretty common in waterfowl babies so it’s very important they get B3 daily which is niacin. I can’t get duck specific feed etc here either I buy chicken feed and add Nutritional yeast for the niacin the feed doesn’t have and poultry cell is really good for new ducklings gives them an extra boost it’s actually called Rooster Booster Poultry Cell. Extra vitamins are good to help a duckling who maybe struggling but It needs to contain niacin which is what they need for strong legs.
Ohh, i think niacin is probably what is lacking at since i was seeing the duckling walking funny and thought it was just me seeing that. Also makes sense why it doesnt wanna walk as much as the others and just lays down. Sadly i dont think i can give them nutritional yeast, is not very avaible where i am and the options avaible are expensive but im gonna see what i can find avaible for them with niacin. I read cheese got niacin and i do have plenty avaible haha, my partner family makes cheese so sometimes there is leftover hard pieces that we feed to animals and sometimes we also give them to the ducks perhaps i can incorporate some into the ducks diet more regularly.

Ohh, i think niacin is probably what is lacking at since i was seeing the duckling walking funny and thought it was just me seeing that. Also makes sense why it doesnt wanna walk as much as the others and just lays down. Sadly i dont think i can give them nutritional yeast, is not very avaible where i am and the options avaible are expensive but im gonna see what i can find avaible for them with niacin. I read cheese got niacin and i do have plenty avaible haha, my partner family makes cheese so sometimes there is leftover hard pieces that we feed to animals and sometimes we also give them to the ducks perhaps i can incorporate some into the ducks diet.
You can also just get it as a vitamin supplement at the store. Just grind it down and put on the food.

I believe the OP is in Mexico.

I was just reading that the reason our ducklings have niacin deficiency issues is because we give them a plant/seed based diet. In the wild, ducklings mostly eat insects. So, it would seem like if there is a way to increase edible insects, maybe baby crickets, that might help. I believe cooked egg yolks were also mentioned. They also contain Niacin.

Last edited:
I believe the OP is in Mexico.

I was just reading that the reason our ducklings have niacin deficiency issues is because we give them a plant/seed based diet. In the wild, ducklings mostly eat insects. So, it would seem like if their is a way to increase edible insects, maybe baby crickets, that might help. I believe cooked egg yolks were also mentioned. They also contain Niacin.
Thank you for that! Last year, I raised a lot of Muscovy ducklings free-range, and none had any niacin issues. This would explain it!

Nature is always right :)

Back
Top Bottom