1st hatch!

msteele

In the Brooder
7 Years
Oct 31, 2012
Eventually planning on getting a GDQ Sportsman but I am not in the situation to spend that kind of money. I can afford a little giant basic unit without a turner. Looking for input from people who hatch this way. Thanks.

The basic model 1602n Hovabator has a much more user friendly thermostat. They are close to the same price if you can find one locally or used on craigslist. http://www.ebay.com/itm/GQF-HOVA-BA...bator-1602N-/141183992876?hash=item20df38c42c

The trick to the Little Giant is the thermostat adjustment. It's so sensitive, a nudge can change the temp a few degrees. To remedy this people affix a large cap (plastic juice cap) to it to make fine tune adjustments easier.

Other than the thermostat it's the same as incubating in any other table top still air incubator. I like to incubate in egg cartons, fat end of egg up. Being in cartons makes turning easy and they can hatch out of them so no rolling around of eggs. Easiest way to turn is to tilt the entire incubator using a dictionary. Move the book under opposite end to turn again. I turn at least twice a day. Temperature should be measured 101-102F at top level of eggs. Heat rises and still airs don't circulate the air so the temp difference from top to bottom is large. your internal egg temp will be the proper 99.5F if you do this.

Here is a thread dedicated to the LG and hatching tips/ tricks using it:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/601352/little-giant-incubator-tricks

Last edited:
Thank you! I signed up a while ago but went dormant for a while. Trying to relearn the site, as the mobile version is different

Got the LG home and it has run 99° for 3 days. Thermometer laying on the wire. Collecting eggs for another 4 days and putting them all in at once.

I bought the Brinsea Eco literally 1 month ago and i had my first successful hatch Monday. 18 out of 19 hatched. I didnt use the wet buld of hydrometer or hygrometer. I am fortunate to have all my little chicks!! We hatched bantams... i will post pictures later
love.gif
. this is the first time we incubate eggs and it can be very nerve wrecking. The first 15 days the water reservoir was filled half way 3 times. Prior to lockdown the reservoir was filled completely. temperature maintained at 99.1 and the chicks started hatching at day 19, the majority on the 20th day, and 3 chicks on the 21st day.

I am eggcited!!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom