1st time hatching...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tlcorley, Oct 8, 2009.

1. tlcorley

tlcorley Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    near Tulsa, Oklahoma
    today is day 19, I have followed the instructions that came with the incubator exactly. should i be seeing or hearing anything yet, I am going crazy waiting. Help a girl ease her mind. please.[​IMG]

2. SilverStar

SilverStar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    california
    You may not see or hear anything yet for a few days. Depending on how your temp has been, thay may hatch a little early or a little late. No worries yet [​IMG] It's day 18 for me and i am excited. [​IMG] What are you hatching? Best of luck!!!!

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    No advise as I'm on Day 6. But good luck!!!! [​IMG]

4. tlcorley

Sep 15, 2009
    near Tulsa, Oklahoma
    RIR's Well at least that is what the lady from the local farmers market told me they were. I don't really mind what kind they are, just as long as they are healthy. We have never had chickens before and it has been a great learning experience for my daughters. we are just waiting and waiting and waiting. Thanks for the encouragement.[​IMG]

5. SilverStar

SilverStar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    california
    Quote:RIR's are great birds...excelent layers! I hatched some birds in july and my kids had a blast with it. It's very exciting!!! I am on my 3rd hatch now. I am hatching a bunch of mixed breeds for fun. My fingers are crossed for you!! Keep us posted!!!

6. tlcorley

Sep 15, 2009
    near Tulsa, Oklahoma
    I love this site, you all are so friendly. Thank you so much. I will post again when I see some changes. Good luck on your hatching as well.[​IMG]

7. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I have no advice since I just put my first ever batch into the bator a couple days ago. Hope you get some chicks soon and [​IMG] .

8. mstricer

mstricer Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2009
    Ohio
    I'm on day 21 its my first time hatching also. I think I've broken all the rules I said I would never do.

9. tlcorley

Sep 15, 2009
    near Tulsa, Oklahoma
    Quote:are you having anything going on with your eggs yet? the waiting is killing me.[​IMG]

10. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

RIR's Well at least that is what the lady from the local farmers market told me they were. I don't really mind what kind they are, just as long as they are healthy.

The best hatch I have had (in my limited experience), was my very first one. It was 30 eggs from the local Farmer's Market, and I had a great variety of chicks! I loved that hatch! Some starting chirping on Day 19, and they were all out and fluffy on or before day 21. I gave all those chicks to an older lady who had lost her flock to predators. She adores them.

Good luck to you on your first hatch!
    Welcome to BYC.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by