1st time w/ broody Muscovy, help w/ ?'s before hatch?

TheReidHomestead

Never enough coops...
10 Years
Feb 5, 2009
Monroe, WA
My Coop
My Coop
Hi!
I have a broody Muscovy hen sitting on 11 eggs due in about 3 weeks. We got the adult pair last fall and this is our first go with ducks, or with having a broody of any type hatch her own. I have some basic questions before they hatch.

Is it ok for Mr. Duck/dad, to stay in the same coop/run as momma and her babies? If not, when can he be introduced to them?
What do I offer for feed for the baby ducks? Mom and Dad are on an all purpose poultry feed in pellet form, can the baby's eat that? Should I buy some in crumble form instead? Is there something equivalent to a "duck starter" food like chicks have?
Do I just trust momma to do all the care or is there anything "I" need to do or help with? Like keep them inside the coop for a period of time before letting them into their run? Anything else I'm not thinking of???

Thanks!!!

You'd be best to separate your drake for a few days or a week or so. Momma Scovy usually wants to keep the little ones real close and will be very protective for awhile. After a few days or so you can introduce your drake w/supervision to see how he handles being a dad. My drake, Jason is very good though he spends the night in w/the nesting broody girls and not w/mom and ducklings. He does spend part of the day w/Chloe and her babies though & has been very good w/them. You can feed your ducklings either a chick starter crumble or duck/flock raiser. They won't be able to get pellets down until they're a bit older. 18-20% protien for the first few weeks is good. My girls generally keep the little ones inside for the first few days but if the weather is nice and you have a secured run I don't see why you couldn't let them out for awhile. Momma duck will take very good care of them. Be sure to watch them if you have any deep water bowls around that they might climb into and not be able to get back out. I have a one inch deep plastic chip & dip bowl my 5day old's love to play in.
lol.png

Thank you!!! I'm breathing easier now. I will pick up some feed for them and let momma do the rest! Daddy is being a good watch duck and just hanging out in the run. We'll close the pop door when she is getting close and make sure he's not in the run when they first come out. I already have a list of buyers for them, so they won't be around long............unless we keep one. Or 2. I'm just say'in.
big_smile.png

Speaking of which, I know the males are generally larger than the females, but is that right away? How long does it take to know which are boys and which are girls?

Muscovy drakes have been known to eat their young.

You should be able to tell with size difference in a few weeks. Males will have huge feet and will soon outgrow the females.

Back
Top Bottom