Muscovy mothers

DukesDucks

Crowing
Oct 6, 2019
Eastern Ontario, Canada
I have 2 Muscovy ducks who have been very good at sharing broody duties with 8 eggs. Yesterday 2 hatched are are doing great. This morning these 2 adults were pecking an egg as it hatched. An hour later I found this poor duckling abandoned in the coop while the first 2 cuddled with the adults. It is currently warming up with me while I wait for heat lamp to bring my rescue space up to heat. It has been taking some sugar water from a dropper and chirping but I think things are touch-and-go. Anything else I can do for it?
There are still other eggs left so I'll be checking frequently.

They have left the other eggs despite the fact I can hear chirping from at least one. I've moved the eggs into an incubator that was already set up for other eggs in lockdown. Fingers crossed.
I guess they decided one each was enough. :(
No idea what goes through their heads sometimes. Hopefully you'll be able to save the remaining ones.

Maybe try to sneak the babies in after they hatch with the mothers after dark?

The mothers have already taken the 2 ducklings out into the run. I had put a board barrier up but the ducklings just jumped over it. The drake and the other two females were already out there. They seem horrified by the intrusion of these noisy things and their protective mothers.
I've moved babies days after the others hatched. It's the only thing I can think of for them.

I can just imagine the others' reactions! Thankfully, my group seems to be fairly good about the ducklings, ignoring them for the most part (which also means stepping on them sometimes *sigh*).

How's the little rescue doing? Was his yolk fully absorbed when you found him?

Slow but sure hatching process that I have assisted with. The first 2 are in brooder pen with heat lamp. Last 2 still finishing absorbing last of yolk but doing well in incubator.

20230724_101313.jpg

Strange. I went to take a pic of the 2 ducklings with the Moms in the coop. After looking at the first pics, I realized that one of the first 2 that hatched is the one that got left behind. I did my best but it was already chilled and didn't make it. So the 2 out there are ones that hatched a day apart.
They are active and healthy, and Moms are being very protective.

Back
Top Bottom