2.5 week old pecked by 6 week old, now bleeding

bumblebee

Hatching
10 Years
May 13, 2009
we have a 2.5 week old australorp that is happily living with another 2.5 week old and 3 more 5.5 week olds (easter eggers, barred rocks, and cochin), all of these get along fine. we had separated another cochin and another barred rock because they were pecking the others and the chicks. so, we are trying to slowly introduce the two pecking chicks in with the other ones. we tried to introduce the cochin in with the others. she seemed to be doing ok. my mom was supposed to be watching him, and later noticed that she noticed that one of teh 2.5 week olds was bleeding. the cochin had been pecking out some of her tail feathers.

we have since removed the cochin again and the little 2.5 week old is separated as well. we washed the blood off, but it still looks very irritated.

we need help as to what to do at this point. we are really frustrated with the cochin and the barred rock that keep attacking the other chicks.

then do i keep her separated from the ones that arent a problem or can i put her back in with the nice ones?

one last thing.. when you reintroduce the birds, you want to be the alpha of the coop! It's just like with dogs... You have to be the boss. When you see one tryin to dominate, shew it away, if its hurtig anoher bird, give it a good swat! (not to hard.. let it know your the boss) Keep that up, and you'll be the leader in no time, and the birds will reconize you as the alpha. But remember consistency is rule # one! Good Luck! hope this helps! ~and....
welcome-byc.gif
you'll LOVE it here!

the problem chicks have been separated for about two weeks now. they are in the same brooder, with a divider that they can see through. we've been trying to introduce them back with the rest of the crew. when we've been introducing them, ive been swatting them away when they peck, but apparently it didnt fix the problem. i started shooting the cochin with a water gun when she would peck (not sure that was a good thing to do or not). when ive been trying to reintroduce the "bad" birds, it has been into the "main" brooder section. i was hoping that they would fall back to the bottom of the pecking order, but these appear to be some pretty strong-headed birds.

i put neosporin on the injured chick and she is currently in a separate brooder. when should i re-introduce her to the rest of the group?

thanks for all the help

Back
Top Bottom