2 baby chicks....then 2 more

mrbstephens

Songster
10 Years
May 25, 2009
Long Island, New York
So, I placed an order of 4 chicks to arrive at the end of April at my local feed store. Unfortunately I only have room for 4 more.
sad.png
So the feed store called me yesterday and had to change my order because the hatchery called and 1 chick would not be available on that date so this is what gonna happen.

March 25th...1 BR and 1 GLW will arrive at the feed store. I'll be going away for 4 days starting on the 26th and the feed store will hold the chicks for me till I get back. This makes me feel uneasy, but it was either this or change my vacation dates or change the breeds of chicks. Can't cause my kids of their hearts set on the breeds we've picked out. They like to look at printouts I made of the breeds and have already chosen names!
roll.png

April 22nd.....1 BO and 1 SS will arrive at the feed store which I'll be able to pick up right away.

So, the first two will be a whole month old than the second two.
What kind of problems will I have here? I could maybe put a chicken wire divider between set A and set B so that set A doesn't peck the heck out of set B. Sound like Dr. Seuss.
lol.png

I'll be in that situation @ the end of the month. I'll be watching this thread
caf.gif

The second set of chicks I mean. Vacation... what does that mean
hu.gif

Last edited:
I think your idea is the right one. I would divide them, but keep them in the same area. That way, when they are of a more similar size, they are familiar to one another and easier to mix & mingle.

That's what I would do, anyway.
smile.png
Good luck!

ETA - Good luck with the relocation thing, too!
big_smile.png

Last edited:
I agree with dividing, them at least for a couple of weeks. I think the age difference will be too large at first. I was able to get away with mixing chicks three weeks in age last year but I would not have wanted to go any longer than that. Luckily all of mine should be within 1 week of each other in age this year.

Back
Top Bottom