2 Bullies

Chewys Chickens

Hatching
5 Years
Oct 24, 2014
I just noticed today that I have 2 bullies! Both Hens (that's all we have 6 total mixed breeds all the same age) and they are mean! I have isolated them but I am not sure what to do from here. All our girls have always been so friendly and can just be held with no issues well one of them is so nervous now, she won't eat near any of the other chickens and she is scared to be touched. This really bothers me. She sits off to her self and has stopped laying for about a week to a week and a half now. I thought it was because we had a broody hen but I broke that and now I am thinking maybe it was because she was being bullied instead.

Any advise on how to fix this? I read on some other posts that isolating the bullies was good to do but what about my nervous hen?

Have not dealt with a bully. But if they have been friendly and getting along, it seems something might have stressed them. Anything you can think of that has changed in their coop, environment. You mention you just broke a broody, don't know how you did that but could that have been a stress to the others? Even if you have them secured from danger, there may have been predator presence upsetting them?

I'm no expert, but most who advise on isolation recommend to make sure the chickens are still able to see each other. If totally separated they will have difficulty rejoining the flock.

Good luck, hope some others offer more help.

I'm not sure how to deal with the bully hens either, but I did just want to suggest that you install multiple feeders and waterers. Quite often a bully hen will not let other chickens drink or feed from her feeders, and they end up missing out. If there are several available, they stand a better chance of getting something to eat and drink.

Good luck!

Krista

Back
Top Bottom