2 day old chick treats?

gofeedthegirls

Chirping
May 11, 2015
Thief River Falls, MN
My new chicks seem very happy in their new home however they still quite skiddish around me which is a huge bummer... :( Im wondering if I sliced up and apple and hung up 1 slice for 15 birds if that will help them feel more comfortable with me. Is it too early still? Would I need to add grit aswell?

Welcome! They need to settle in, eat their chick starter, and recover from shipping. When you do add goodies (in small quantities!) you also have to add grit, in a separate container. Just relax and enjoy the babies as they develop. Mary

My chicks were very nervous at first but warmed up to me pretty fast. Don't take it personal. Spend plenty of time around them so they'll get used to you and when it's time for treats mine are pretty easily impressed. Stale bread and biscuits make them happy and today they flock demolished a piece of strawberry-rhubarb pie.

Talk about premium treats, find a miller moth and toss it into the brooder. I found a water logged miller out in a rain barrel and gave it to one of my two-day olds. It was impressive to see that tiny chick eat that fat moth.

Yes, they have grit. It's a good safety precaution and can't hurt to supply grit. I use fine sand.

Back
Top Bottom