2 day old chicks

King Bertie

In the Brooder
8 Years
Nov 6, 2011
New Zealand
One of my chickens went broody and I didn't have time to send away for any fertile eggs of a specific breed, so I gave her nine from a mixture of my own eggs. My rooster is a lavender araucana and the eggs were a mix of minorca, SLW and silver campine.

Yesterday 8 eggs hatched and the chicks are all a blue/grey/black colour with tiny bits of white on them. Just gorgeous. I have no idea what they'll grow up like, but they are super cute right now!

IMG_7221.jpg

IMG_7226.jpg

IMG_7234.jpg

At the moment they are in a broody house with their mum closed into the nesting part. I would like to open the door and let them out into the wee enclosed run, but there is a ramp to get down. It's not that steep, about 10 inches wide and leads down onto soft grass. What do you think?
thanks
smile.png

I might wait a bit longer. I had some week olds in a cage with a ramp a few months ago. My mornings were woken up by them cheeping VERY loudly cos they couldn't get down the ramp. It took me two days to teach them how to get up it! A good shove up the backside lol

open it up.... mom will make sure everyone gets up or down as needed.... i have one broody that waited 4 or 5 days before venturing out (with a ramp).. and another broody that took em out after 2 days..... i figure they know best....

thanks guys. I think I'll just open it to see what mum does - at least she can go down and poo rather than do it in the nesting bit. I've been using a cat litter 'spade' to clean it out each day!! I'll let you know how I get on.
smile.png

Well, so far so good! Mum is out on the grassy bit and 4 of the chicks were down immediately, the last 4 followed not that long after. So they're all scuffling around in the sun. I've been out just looking at them so many times
smile.png
I'll just have to make sure that they all follow her back at bed time.

I don't post pics often but love seeing posts about baby chicks so thought I would post my tiny fluffy butts . Ruby Red a red bantam cochin is always broody and I have taken eggs away from her all spring , summer until we left for a 10 day vacation . Got home and there she was again setting on a bunch of eggs so I just gave in . Ruby Red could not be more pleased with herself . Only one chick is hers the other two yellow ones are pure D'uccle . The black ones are from my tiny black mottled cochin and Millie Fleur D'uccle rooster . I only have this D'uccle rooster in with the bantams so know he is the papa .

I moved them into my garage last night after the final one hatched . I was worried the other chickens might harm them . They are all so sweet .

[
67664_ruby_red_and_her_chicks_017.jpg
img][/img]
[
67664_ruby_red_and_her_chicks_012.jpg
img][/img]

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom