2 Egg Bound Hens **Added Pics** Could Mites Cause This?

cherp68

In the Brooder
10 Years
Oct 21, 2009
Fonthill, Ontario
Two of our 5 Red Sex Links were found this week sitting in the snow alone, bleeding from their vent. I think the bleeding was mostly from the other girls pecking & pulling out their feathers around their vents.
We've had chickens a few years ago who were egg bound, we were able to save one, but the other died.
So I've done the spa treatment for both of them yesterday, and one of them I could definitely feel an egg inside her. I gently massaged her and brought the egg down close to her vent then left her alone in a box in the basement hoping the egg would pass. So far today the egg hasn't moved. I did an internal check of the egg, it feels either that its in the wrong place or there is a membrane of sorts around the egg. Is this possible?
Her poo is running and today there was blood in it. I'm afraid she may not make it. Any suggestions?

The other chicken is perky as heck and doesn't want to stay in her box. Her poop is almost normal, but her vent still doesn't look very good. I couldn't feel an egg inside her, but more like a small mass of possible shells. I'm thinking of just putting her back into the coop with rest.

Any ideas of suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
Would vent gleet cause her to not be able to pass the egg? I'm starting to think it's that. Last night they both had another Epsom salts bath and I gave them organic plain yogurt with rolled oats.
The one chicken looks good, I'm probably going to put her back into the coop today, her poops are looking more solid rather than runny.
The other hen will stay in the house till she passes that egg.

Here are a couple of pictures I took 2 days ago.

So I just tried to put the healthier hen back into the coop with the others; they immediately started pecking at her butt. So, she's now back in the basement in a box. I've given them fresh water with a dash of cider vinegar and yogurt with rolled oats. I also applied a heavy coating of polysporin to their vent area. The flesh around their vent has turned a dark red if not a black colour, I don't know what that means.
So they will stay there again while I go to work.
These girls have disrupted the system with my cat and dog also. Since the hens are in the basement I've had to bring up the cats litter box to the kitchen which my DH hates (but these are his chickens!). Having the hens in the basement drives my dog crazy because she wants to go hassle them and I also have to keep her from eating the cat poop from the litter box.
barnie.gif

Sorry about your hens. The one pictured has a bad case of prolapse and will not be able to pass the egg. It this point there are little options other than to try to suck the contents out of the egg or break it if you have to. Then you need to treat this prolapse. From the looks of this, the bird may not survive.

If you can see the egg, towel her up and lay her on your lap. Have someone help you with this. Get a syringe with a needle and suck the contents of the egg out with the syringe. When you think you have most of it, gently colapse the shell and pull it out. Be careful not to cause more damage to the area with sharp egg shell shards.

Here is a thread on Prolapse that might help you. But if you don't act pretty quick this bird is not going to make it.

Never put birds in the coop with other birds when a hen has prolapse. The others will pick the bird to death.

Sorry about your hens. The one pictured has a bad case of prolapse and will not be able to pass the egg. It this point there are little options other than to try to suck the contents out of the egg or break it if you have to. Then you need to treat this prolapse. From the looks of this, the bird may not survive.

If you can see the egg, towel her up and lay her on your lap. Have someone help you with this. Get a syringe with a needle and suck the contents of the egg out with the syringe. When you think you have most of it, gently colapse the shell and pull it out. Be careful not to cause more damage to the area with sharp egg shell shards.

Here is a thread on Prolapse that might help you. But if you don't act pretty quick this bird is not going to make it.

Never put birds in the coop with other birds when a hen has prolapse. The others will pick the bird to death.

+ LUBE.

MrsB

I would also get this bird in some very dim light. Just enough to see to eat and drink. And 16 hours of complete darkness. This will help her stop laying. Keep her this way, under heat as well, until she is completely healed, if she survives. A bird in this way can not defecate and this alone will kill her.

Update:
The more sickly chicken was kept in the basement, in a box in dim light. We gave her water and rolled oats but she wasn't pooping. Earlier this morning I gave her some more oats, she ate some so I left her alone. A couple hours have gone by now and I just went down to check her and she's dead and covered in mites!!
Could the mites have been the problem? I didn't notice them before.
The other, more active chicken is now in the garage since the temps have improved a bit because she wouldn't stay in her box.
I will Sevin dust all the chickens today, but first I need to take a shower because I feel like I have mites all over me!!
barnie.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom