2 eggs in a day?

upstater

Songster
7 Years
Mar 23, 2017
Is it possible for a chicken to lay 2 eggs in one day? My white leghorn has been laying for about two weeks. She has laid me an egg every day except 2. Yesterday she didn’t lay an egg but today when I got home from work there were two white eggs in the best box. She is my only white egg layer.... I got two white leghorns from TSC but one turned out to be not a leghorn, see attached pic. Could she lay 2 eggs or is this bird really a white leghorn? Thanks!

Attachments

• 4B4C6BC7-D480-4B8C-80A5-9E0D6BB60441.jpeg
    4B4C6BC7-D480-4B8C-80A5-9E0D6BB60441.jpeg
    168 KB · Views: 15
Is it possible for a chicken to lay 2 eggs in one day? My white leghorn has been laying for about two weeks. She has laid me an egg every day except 2. Yesterday she didn’t lay an egg but today when I got home from work there were two white eggs in the best box. She is my only white egg layer.... I got two white leghorns from TSC but one turned out to be not a leghorn, see attached pic. Could she lay 2 eggs or is this bird really a white leghorn? Thanks!
The most likely scenario is that your White Leghorn hen laid an egg after you checked last night and then laid another egg today. White leghorns can on rare occasions lay two eggs within a 24 hour period. The second egg is usually soft shelled and the hen will not lay again the next day.

The hen in your photo appears to be a White-laced Red Cornish. If so, she will lay brown eggs.

The most likely scenario is that your White Leghorn hen laid an egg after you checked last night and then laid another egg today. White leghorns can on rare occasions lay two eggs within a 24 hour period. The second egg is usually soft shelled and the hen will not lay again the next day.

The hen in your photo appears to be a White-laced Red Cornish. If so, she will lay brown eggs.

[QUOTE="upstater, post: 23155705, member:

Sorry I should have stated I checked the coop this morning before leaving for work and no eggs.... she’s the only one laying so I’m really “eggcited” and check the boxes every morning!

Back
Top Bottom