1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 embryo in 1 egg? Please look at picture

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by lucysducks11, Dec 15, 2016.

1. kimboschicks

kimboschicks New Egg

Dec 28, 2016
    I found this thread a few days ago and have been following... i cant wait for the good news!!!!

2. lucysducks11

lucysducks11 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2016
    I hava good feeling that tomorrow they will be ready :)

3. teaton

teaton Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2016
    Clarksville, TN
    I sure hope so because they cant keep living like that for long! Its a nail biter for sure!!!

1 person likes this.
  4. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Central New Hampshire
    There were so many quotes that i wanted to quote but i just deleted them and want to say Thank You for sharing yourself and your stories. You are an amazing individual and those ducks and your family are very lucky to have you

4 people like this.
  5. lucysducks11

Apr 9, 2016
    I'm sorry to update with sad news, I have dreaded this since I opened the bator and found the twins had emerged from the egg. I thought at first both had died and notice the 1 was breathing very heavily. And was laying on the other duckling, I scooped her up and took a baby sucker bulb and cleaned out her nose, seemed like the right thing to do, she immediately stopped working so hard to breathe. I moved her over under the heat lamp, she's very weak :(
    And very very small. I'm not sure what to do now. I want to hold her but she needs heat so I'm leaving her be. The other duckling sadly died, it was fully formed except it's little webbed feet were missing. Which explains how they both fit maybe, idk :(
    The odds were against me and I did everything I could, and now have to focus on the surviving one, idk what to do :( she's itty bitty and weak..Any advice would be helpful..

6. GingersHuman

GingersHuman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2016
    NC
    Hatching is very strenuous, resting time is definitely in order.

It's sad the other twin didn't make it, but without feet, you'd have had a choice to make if it had survived. Hugs to you and you did great.

7. WVduckchick

WVduckchick For The Birds Premium Member

Feb 9, 2015
    West Virginia
    So sorry! But as everyone has said, its still a miracle they made it as far as they did.

Yes, focus on the one that made it. You "can" hold it... close to your body, since your body temp is within the range they need. Or you can leave it in the incubator. Whatever you feel more comfortable doing. I wouldn't bother trying to get it to eat or drink anything for a while. Just be the caring person you are. Its more up to the baby now.....

8. SueT

SueT Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2015
    SW MO
    [​IMG]

9. DwayneNLiz

DwayneNLiz ...lost... Premium Member

Jun 18, 2013
    Central New Hampshire
    [​IMG] so very sorry but without feet its life would have been short anyway
    let the little twin rest, stick it in your bra with a washcloth around it

You've done so much for them already [​IMG]

10. lucysducks11

Apr 9, 2016

I am really sad over the other one dying but realized without feet life would be impossible, I am pretty sure the living one was keeping them both alive , she pooped really black watery stuff a minute ago, my 1st hatchling yesterday did not do that so Idk if this is normal?
    I have her ( I am assuming it's a hen because she's so tiny) under my shirt which seems to please her and she seems warm. I'm just going to keep an eye on her and pray she makes it, she is awful sweet but my goodness, she's small ..

2 people like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by