2 Frizzles with their eyes matted shut.

zigzag3337

Songster
10 Years
Feb 1, 2009
Callahan, FL.
Hello,
I got several chicks 3 weeks ago and they all seem healthy. I kept them under a light until this past weekend where I moved all of them except for the frizzles into the outside holding pen inside of our hen house. I kept the 2 frizzles inside due to that they are in their balding stage right not and I didn't want them to get too cold at night.

Saturday I noticed that one of them had it's right eye closed, today they both have their eyes closed. It looks like that they are matted shut.

Do you think this is a sign of a disease? Or do you think that one of the other birds have pecked the eye and got it infected and now they are both infected?

I hatched a new chick Friday night and he looks get and has a lot of energy. I have all three of them in the same brooder, is this a good idea?

Right now the temperature reads 89* under the light

Any help getting them better will be appreciated.
Thank you

Sound like a respiratory disease. I would not add any chicks to the ones that are sick. I would seperate and start on Oxy-Mycin 10. It is a broad spectrum antibiotic. Farm & Fleet carries it.

I went to my feed store and they didn't know what to do, so they called Ideal Poultry (where they buy their chicks from) and the guy there told to me to put Neosporin on their eyes and put Terramycin in their water. Is this the same that you are talking about?

How long does it normally take for the birds to start to clear up?

Thank you.

I would give them 48-72 hrs. If it is not clearing up then something else is wrong.

For me after 72 hrs. if there is no improvement I cull. I do not need weak or sickly chicks.

Can you post a pic of there eyes? Are there beaks clear of any fluid?

I have gotten chicks from the farmstore with eyes matted so shut that you wonder if there is an eye in there. Used a warm washcloth and held against eye for about 30 seconds each and that usually fixed it, IF there wasn't something else going on like a URI. Look for any other discharge or mouth breathing. For suspected eye infection, I use terramyocin eye ointment, tube about $10-15 can get from vet or jefferspet.com good to have on hand. I would NOT put neosporin in an eye. Give polyvisol vit to help boost immune system, 1 drop per day. I mix with a little pedialyte. Hope they get well, I LOVE frizzles:)

Okay, today I went outside to feed the chickens and in my brooder in the hen house I found another chick that it's eyes are starting to get matted up. I immediately pulled it out and put it inside of a holding pen inside of my house. I also put Terramycin in the others water supply. All of the other chicks eyes look okay with no signs of problems.

Right now I have 3 sick chicks. 2 Frizzles and 1 Black Australorp all about 3-4 weeks old. I have them separated from all the other birds even though their pens are about 20' apart (is this far enough?). We have noticed that the sick chicks stink. I know baby chicks smell, but these still smell with a clean pen (could this be a sign of their sickness?)

I don't see any nasal discharge, but I do see them "mouth breathing" if this is when it looks like they are grasping for air through their mouth.

I have enclosed a picture of one of the frizzles. it's not the sharpest image but I was trying to get a close up. I will stop using the Neosporin and try to get the Terramycin eye ointment tomorrow.

22224_100_8829.jpg

Thank you for your help.
Richard

pips&peeps :

Where did you get these birds??????

I bought 6 of them at my Local feed store (Ideal Poultry Birds). Then the other 6 was purchased from BYC Members at a local swap. The Frizzles came from the swap and the Black Australorp came from the feed store.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom