2 Grain Scratch

2AcreFarmer

In the Brooder
6 Years
5 Years
Jan 23, 2014
I went to southern states to buy feed and I asked the lady what type of feed she preferred and she told me scratch. It turns out its just 2 grain scratch an I don't know if that's healthy or not for my hens. I've already opened the feed an I don't want to waste it. What should I do?

Adult chickens? Layers I presume?

The feed is fine, but only as a supplement. No scratch, even if it were 4 grain, would be a complete feed. Buy a complete feed appropriate for the age of the birds.

Starter for chicks, Grower of anyone, Layer for laying hens. Some feed stores may also have an All Flock type feed, designed for chickens of all ages.

Mine
Adult chickens?  Layers I presume?

The feed is fine, but only as a supplement. No scratch, even if it were 4 grain, would be a complete feed.  Buy a complete feed appropriate for the age of the birds.

Starter for chicks, Grower of anyone, Layer for laying hens.  Some feed stores may also have an All Flock type feed, designed for chickens of all ages.
mine are laying hens but its winter here and they aren't laying. So do I mix the scratch with laying mash or do I just throw it around the run for them to eat?

Just give them a cup, tossed for a late afternoon snack.  Anymore than that and they'll want to eat it all the time and they'll stop eating their balanced feed.  It's a good something extra, but that's all. 
Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom