2" mesh for quail flight pen?

I have used 2 inch mesh in flight pens, and occasionally the smaller quail have squeezed thru. Not all that common, but it does happen. The problem I found with 2 inch mesh is that small wild birds fit readily thru the holes and will drink and eat from your quail feeders. This is a big no no. I had all sorts of diseases coming into my aviaries and flight pens when I used the 2 inch. So keep the little wild bird issue in mind if you do use it.

Last edited:
I have used 2 inch mesh in flight pens, and occasionally the smaller quail have squeezed thru. Not all that common, but it does happen. The problem I found with 2 inch mesh is that small wild birds fit readily thru the holes and will drink and eat from your quail feeders. This is a big no no. I had all sorts of diseases coming into my aviaries and flight pens when I used the 2 inch. So keep the little wild bird issue in mind if you do use it.
Do you think bobwhite quail will squeeze through the 2" mesh?

I keep northern bobs and butler bobs. I had a couple of small northern females squeeze thru. Doesn't mean yours will, but it can happen.

You can put them in at 6 weeks of age. If these are still young quail and it is still getting cold outside, you might hold off till they are a bit older or it doesn't get below freezing.

Back
Top Bottom