2 minth old chick staggering

sjallen78

Chirping
Mar 1, 2023
I feel heartbroken. I hatched 17 eggs, baby chicks inside the house because the 2 chickens that was laying on them apparently had eggs that another chicken had laid so hatching at different times. Anyway, the 1st one that hatched seemed to grow attached to me. She would hear my voice and come running, I'd open up the kennel and she was always right now. Then she started jumping om my hand and then my shoulders. Started following me everywhere I went outside. This little chickadee really seemed to love me and I really love her. The other day I noticed she couldn't hold her balance. None of the other 23 baby chicks was like this and none of the 24 grown chickens. I bought her in and she acts drunk. I got vitamin water for her just in case, made for baby chicks. It's been 3 days and she's still losing balance, falling over, staggering. She is eating and drinking. Doesn't seem to be contagious. I think she got ahold of something. I did notice white moldy stuff on a piece of food that got thrown to the side. But seems like others would be sick too. Anyway, we moved the pen to a new area in case it was something on the ground in that area. We got them all vitamin water. And I don't feed them medicated feed because I was told in hot weather like this they don't get the vitamin needed from medicated feed. I still feed them baby chick food. Anyone else have this issue. From what I've looked up it sounds like a missing vitamin defencincy. But it's strange she's the only one with it.

Attachments

• 20230902_171350.jpg
    20230902_171350.jpg
    461.4 KB · Views: 114
You could try antibiotics. I have only had those symptoms with my first rooster. He had an infection, so we treated him with those. Hopefully some other folks will have some good ideas, but you can pick up some aqua-mox in case that is what others recommend. It is good to have on hand anyway.

You could try antibiotics. I have only had those symptoms with my first rooster. He had an infection, so we treated him with those. Hopefully some other folks will have some good ideas, but you can pick up some aqua-mox in case that is what others recommend. It is good to have on hand anyway.
Thank you. I appreciate your help. I'll try that. I realized I spelled some stuff wrong lol, my phone screen is broken and couldn't see it good, I meant 2 months lol

He recovered without an issue, so I hope it is the same thing.
Thank you. I'm going to pick some up now. I appreciate your help. I hate to see any animal sick. Doesn't seem to be in pain and trys so hard to fly to me when she hears my voice or sees me. Breaks my heart. I have her sitting on my chest in my room watching TV lol.

I bought her in and she acts drunk. I got vitamin water for her just in case, made for baby chicks. It's been 3 days and she's still losing balance, falling over, staggering. She is eating and drinking.
What are you feeding?

Please get photos of the poop.

What's in the vitamins - please post a photo.

Thanks.

What are you feeding?

Please get photos of the poop.

What's in the vitamins - please post a photo.

Thanks.
I'll get pics and name of the feed etc in little bit,, I can't remember name of feed at the moment but was told by tractor supply it was the best, but I don't really trust everything they say

I'll get pics and name of the feed etc in little bit,, I can't remember name of feed at the moment but was told by tractor supply it was the best, but I don't really trust everything they say
I'm not able get pic right now. I have 2 chicks in kennel inside the house. One is my chickadee that's staggering and one is TJ he has hurt leg. They've always been together and tj isn't sick. I cant tell which poop is which but all poop in kennel looks normal. I'll have to go outside look at name of food but its supposedly the best feed their is but I think everyone says that about their products lol. She can roost on the stuff I put in their. Seems to start staggering worse after drinking water. But that could just be from putting her head downwards causing her to go off balance. I don't know if it's a boy or girl lol but I'm hoping hen lol. Anyway, I'll get pics soon as I can and I'll look for the PK of vitamin supplements too. Thanks again

Staggering worse after drinking water?

Look in the ears for any infection and check the crop to make sure it's emptying overnight.
Thank you, I'll check that this morning. I didn't even think about ears, my dog done those when he had a severe ear infection. Thank u

Back
Top Bottom