2 month old Barred Rock roo? What's with my other chickens butt?

9d84runner

Songster
6 Years
Jul 20, 2016
Yuma, AZ
My chickens are 2 months old and the barred rock is making me sad because I'm pretty sure it's a roo. Co-worker says pullet but I the tail feathers seem too floppy to me. I feel like barred rocks have me guessing for such a long time. Also have a chicken with no tail feathers... It was labeled a Sapphire Gem and I've never had that breed before so I have no idea but other people's Sapphire Gems have tail feathers. I know they are a made up "new breed" so maybe they get them later? No idea. They will be 3 months on the 19th of this month.

Attachments

• PXL_20220503_015355917.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220503_015355917.MP.jpg
    935.9 KB · Views: 43
  • PXL_20220503_015330434.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220503_015330434.MP.jpg
    980.9 KB · Views: 26
  • PXL_20220503_015316344.jpg
    PXL_20220503_015316344.jpg
    836.3 KB · Views: 26
I didn't think the Sapphire Gem's could be rumpless because they are basically barred rocks?

The Rock confuses me. The saddle feathers aren't really stringy yey? I figured by now they would be more defined? I haven't had Barred Rocks for 4 years so I feel like a newbie. Haha. I know its still early but usually by this time they usually try and crow also. At least for me. This one is blind in one eye and I think hard of seeing in the other, is at the bottom of the pecking order and suuuuuch a wimp. As a chick, it had the smallest white spot on the top of its head too... :(

I didn't think the Sapphire Gem's could be rumpless because they are basically barred rocks?

The Rock confuses me. The saddle feathers aren't really stringy yey? I figured by now they would be more defined? I haven't had Barred Rocks for 4 years so I feel like a newbie. Haha. I know its still early but usually by this time they usually try and crow also. At least for me. This one is blind in one eye and I think hard of seeing in the other, is at the bottom of the pecking order and suuuuuch a wimp. As a chick, it had the smallest white spot on the top of its head too... :(
Any breed can be rumpless. It's a genetic defect. Also, Gems aren't Rocks. They're sex-linked mix breeds.

Saddles don't come in usually, until 12+ weeks. So he just hasn't grown them yet. He is definitely a cockerel though.

Aw, poor little feller.

Any breed can be rumpless. It's a genetic defect. Also, Gems aren't Rocks. They're sex-linked mix breeds.

Saddles don't come in usually, until 12+ weeks. So he just hasn't grown them yet. He is definitely a cockerel though.

Aw, poor little feller.

I've had so many chickens and never had a rumpless, a first for me!

Makes me sad about the Roo/IT/unknown. Hopefully it won't ever crow or act like a roo. Haha.

I've had so many chickens and never had a rumpless, a first for me!

Makes me sad about the Roo/IT/unknown. Hopefully it won't ever crow or act like a roo. Haha.
I don't think they're super common. I love their little bean butts!

Unfortunately he will eventually. So just have a plan in place if you can't keep him.

2 months old? That BR is a cockerel. Look how big/red the comb/wattles are. Also looks more white barring than black. He’s gorgeous.

ETA:pic of female (left) and male (right) BR around 2 months old
I thought the barring was getting bigger and more white. I haven't had any barred rocks for 4 years and no others to compare too.

Thanks everyone! I figured it was a Roo and was hoping it wasn't and I just thought maaaaaybe I was missing something. Haha.

Back
Top Bottom