2 Month Old Easter Egger with Swollen Eye

Arya28

Songster
Apr 9, 2017
Pennsylvania
So we have a flock of 2 month old chickens, that we got outside last week. We noticed a couple days ago that one of our Ameraucanas had a bit of a puffy eye (it wasn't swollen shut or anything). They were on organic probiotics and starter feed, along with foraging on whatever they eat in the grass. Once we noticed it was puffy, we treated it with colloidal silver gel, and we gave it oregano and garlic in it's water for about three days. It was just about all cleared up when we noticed one of our Easter Eggers had a very swollen and irritated looking eye (more so than the Ameraucana's was). We weren't sure if it was contagious or not, so we took the Easter Egger and the Ameraucana inside to separate them and so we could keep a closer eye on them (this was on Friday night). We then gave the Easter Egger garlic and oregano oil (for antibiotic and anti inflammatory properties), and we rubbed colloidal silver on her eye. After 2 days it was about the same so we treated her eye with some nascent iodine water. The next morning (yesterday) it looked a LOT better, and she seemed like she was feeling a lot better as well. Then, this morning, it looked worse. Now her eye is pretty much swollen shut, and it occasionally seems like she is breathing out of her mouth, though she isn't quite panting. We still have them both inside and we just treated it with more silver. The Ameraucana, so far, looks all better. Any ideas of what this could be, or how to treat it naturally? We are trying to do everything organically and we can't find a vet around here that will see a chicken (nope, not even the bird vets).. Also, once they get better can we put them back outside with the other birds or should we keep them separated? I will go get some pictures... Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

You sure are doing your best. I had a chicken whose eye looked similar. I used Neosporin (WITHOUT pain killer) 2 times a day and in 3 or 4 days of treatment the eye was fine. I am puzzled, however, that more than one chicken is effected. Perhaps there is something sharp in the coop or pen area. Or perhaps the problem is more complex. Hope this helps.. I did hear you were looking for organic cures, but, once in a while, my first aid goes to Neosporin....which is over the counter and not costly.

IMG_5342.JPG
IMG_5342.JPG
IMG_5345.JPG

So we just went out to put the chickens in the coop for the night, and found our one Marans girl has an eye (on the same side) starting to get puffy so we brought her in with the others. Any suggestions??

You sure are doing your best. I had a chicken whose eye looked similar. I used Neosporin (WITHOUT pain killer) 2 times a day and in 3 or 4 days of treatment the eye was fine. I am puzzled, however, that more than one chicken is effected. Perhaps there is something sharp in the coop or pen area. Or perhaps the problem is more complex. Hope this helps.. I did hear you were looking for organic cures, but, once in a while, my first aid goes to Neosporin....which is over the counter and not costly.

Thank you! I will definitely keep this in mind... and I know everything can't always be organic, it'd just be best if it's as natural as possible, and I'm sure many others are trying to find a balance between that :)

But the thing that seems weird (and it may totally be a coincidence) is that they all have the swollen eye on the same side!

Back
Top Bottom