2 month old pekin dying?

MyGalVal1

In the Brooder
5 Years
Dec 2, 2014
I have an approximately 2 month old pekin and 5 days ago she couldn't walk. She was eating, drinking, trying to walk but couldn't. She seemed to have no feeling in her feet. Vet felt it was neurological so gave her a steroid shot. Over the next few days her condition worsened. She tries to move but seems unable. It is so sad! The last two days she will not eat, only drinks when I put her in the baby pool to clean her off. Her duck buddy worries over her just like I do. She is kept warm with a lamp. I keep hoping she will get better, but am at a loss. Any ideas what is happening with her?

starter and also added niacin. Her duck mate (they came from ts) is thriving.

Last edited:
starter and also added niacin. Her duck mate (they came from ts) is thriving.

Is the niacin plain not flush free or time released? neither of them will work it has to be plain. 125 mgs to 1 gal of water. or Brewers yeast food grade 1Tab to 1cup of feed. also some added Poultry vitamins couldn't hurt administer according to label.

It's actually a liquid formula for ducklings. I guess my question is more of what kinds of pathology cause paralysis? It started with her feet and just seemed to work it's way through. It's breaking my heart, but I know these things happen. I don't think she is going to recover; she's not eating at all now and can hardly move her neck.

ugh. I've never lost a duckling and this is awful :( Should I give it penicillin?Well I've done some research and I think it is probably botulism. Research say they can recover.....crossing fingers. My ducklings are near a pony and manure/flies and some stagnation with all of the rain we've been having.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom