2 months and no eggs... help!!

msiler

Songster
Nov 26, 2018
It has been two months and I haven't received any eggs!!! At first I blamed it on molting because that was the case. Then I kept convincing myself that they must still be molting... but now it's been 2 to 2 1/2 months and there have been no eggs! They couldn't be laying them anywhere else, they shouldn't be stressed, plenty of food, water, very clean coop and run, and they all appear healthy and to have no feather missing now, from molting or otherwise! I'm at a complete loss and right now we are just paying for feed with no output... please please please send help!

How old are your birds?
Where in the world are you?
On the east coast of the US the days are getting shorter and chickens need 14 hours of day light to stimulate ovulation. Most chickens molt early fall-late fall and resume laying the following spring.

One is 3, one is 2, the rest, about 8, are just over 1. (They are all fall born chicks). There are also 3 Silkie pullets who were spring chicks, but I dont expect them to be laying yet.
I live in Oregon... Im not sure of the hours of light here but that might be a problem!
I know also that not all of our hens are winter layers, but I know about half are. I will have to double check.
I'm honestly at a loss....:th

One is 3, one is 2, the rest, about 8, are just over 1. (They are all fall born chicks). There are also 3 Silkie pullets who were spring chicks, but I dont expect them to be laying yet.
I live in Oregon... Im not sure of the hours of light here but that might be a problem!
I know also that not all of our hens are winter layers, but I know about half are. I will have to double check.
I'm honestly at a loss....:th

The three year old and two year old have just stopped! They can't produce anymore.

What feed do you use?

Do you have free choice oyster shells?

Do they get treats often? (Tomatoes, Spinach, Watermelon, etc.)

The three year old and two year old have just stopped! They can't produce anymore.

What feed do you use?

Do you have free choice oyster shells?

Do they get treats often? (Tomatoes, Spinach, Watermelon, etc.)

Wow I didnt know they stopped so young!!
It is a feed from a local feed store... just a regular layer feed. I Can take a look tomorrow!
No they dont have the oyster shells....
And yes! They get all sorts of goodies.

Wow I didnt know they stopped so young!!
It is a feed from a local feed store... just a regular layer feed. I Can take a look tomorrow!
No they dont have the oyster shells....
And yes! They get all sorts of goodies.

Next time you go to the feed store pick some up! It really helps them!

Make sure you limit your treats! Maybe 1-2 times a week!

I find that Purina Layena ia a really good feed!!!

What breeds are the birds? Some do stop laying early, certain breeds are known for this.

Add protein or give them higher protein feed. No eggs so they don’t need the extra calcium in layer feed, but may benefit from the extra protein. Oyster shell on side they can choose to use. Higher protein feed can be “all-flock” or a grower/starter (non-medicated). Limit treats so the balanced feed is not diluted.

Good luck. I have two 37 week old pullets who have yet to lay a first egg. One other of same breed and age laid their at 35weeks. The rest of same age pullets laid much earlier. No idea why the two have never laid an egg...keeping them out of sheer curiosity at this point. hope they give you eggs soon.

I have a friend who has a few 10 year old hens who still lay the occasional egg.
Egg production doesn’t stop at 3 years of age. Egg production does decrease as a hen ages. I wouldn’t expect more than an egg or two a week from the 8 year old hens.
It might be time to add some young pullets to your flock.

Last edited:
I have a friend who has a few 20 year old hens who still lay the occasional egg.
Egg production doesn’t stop at 3 years of age. Egg production does decrease as a hen ages. I wouldn’t expect more than an egg or two a week from the 8 year old hens.
It might be time to add some young pullets to your flock.
I think she was saying she has 8 ~ 1 yr old hens.
I agree I don't think they are old enough to just stop entirely. It's probably just the season. I would only be concerned if they don't start back up in the spring.

Back
Top Bottom