2 of my chickens finally squatted!!!

Caught my barred rock in the act today, but other than that she seems to be the only one who laid today.

So funny! Just when I got used to my little chicken friends they're so new and interesting again!

They are a lot friendlier now and follow me around now that they're laying. We hand raised them from day 1 so I was a little surprised that they often kept their distance from me. Now they chat away and follow me actively! And my barred rock rolls all the decoy eggs into one nest for her to sit on! It's super cute.

Love my chickens way more than I thought I would for sure!

They are so entertaining and there’s always something new to learn about them even after having them for years! 🐣

20 days after I saw my first pullet squat, 2 weeks of laying eggs from 3 of my four hens, and finally my Easter egger did a half squat before continuing to run away from me! I think the 3 girls have laid about 30 eggs and I've even gotten 3 extra large ones! Those were a shock to see. They are just about to turn 24 weeks and thought I would update for future curious folk.

Well now it's like watching water boil! Today my Black Australorp shook herself off after I finished petting her (she squatted low). My buff squatted again so I'm not imagining it, and my barred rock spread her wings but only half squatted. C'mon eggs!

Meanwhile my Easter egger just runs around trying to challenge everyone and giving me the eye. 😜
My easter egger was the same lol! Gotta love her :)

I’m so jealous. Sounds like I still have a ways to go, mine are only 17 weeks.
I worry they won’t start laying at all this year and have to wait until spring! I’m far too impatient for that nonsense :barnie
Hey I had a thought, was trying to figure out how to add light to my coop that was on auto and battery operated. I found Christmas twinkle lights! They are just on auto on for 5 hours a day. Turn them on at 5am and you're set for I think a month then change the batteries. I have this as a back up in case my ee got too far into fall. I caught her checking out the nest for the first time today but still no eggs from her. She's starting to be friendlier though, and all the chickens have become much friendlier since they started laying so I'm thinking she's due any day now!

We brought day old chickens home the Thursday after Easter this year and today, when I pet them, my buff orpington and my black Australorp squatted low to the ground and spread their wings out!!!

I'm so excited!
Any idea how much longer we'll be waiting for those first eggs?
Congrats on those eggs they look beautiful!!! my meat chicken just started to do the same thing but no eggs from her. i also have 2 RIR chicks that are only 6 weeks old so by the end of the year i should have some eggs.

Last edited:
Actually nevermind! Got 3 eggs today! So surprised! My barred rock seemed really far behind but must not have been after all!

So 3 out of 4 pullets laying now and only waiting on my Easter egger.

Never heard an egg song, but my ladies have always been fairly quiet girls.
lucky! my hen makes an egg song but doesn't lay any eggs

Mine started checking out the nests maybe 7-8 days before I got the first egg several continue to check out the nest for a few more days before they started laying. It's a good sign but it's not an immediate sign. Your continued patience will be needed.
I Should warn you, about something else I don't read here often. Or perhaps my experience is unique. People talk about squatting behavior when you go to pet a chicken that's laying. Mine now do it in front of my feet as I'm walking. I have nearly tripped several times when a hen sees the shadow of my movement behind her and thinks she's supposed to squat.

Mine started checking out the nests maybe 7-8 days before I got the first egg several continue to check out the nest for a few more days before they started laying. It's a good sign but it's not an immediate sign. Your continued patience will be needed.
I Should warn you, about something else I don't read here often. Or perhaps my experience is unique. People talk about squatting behavior when you go to pet a chicken that's laying. Mine now do it in front of my feet as I'm walking. I have nearly tripped several times when a hen sees the shadow of my movement behind her and thinks she's supposed to squat.
Did they check out the nest boxes at all before that? I opened mine when they were 16 weeks. We are going on 18 weeks and it doesn’t look like a chicken has even glanced at them let alone got in to check them out. I’m started to get worried they will never lay there

Did they check out the nest boxes at all before that? I opened mine when they were 16 weeks. We are going on 18 weeks and it doesn’t look like a chicken has even glanced at them let alone got in to check them out. I’m started to get worried they will never lay there
But my nest boxes have been open since I moved them out to the hen house at week eight. Some of my birds still aren't laying. But my roots are above the level of the nesting boxes so I've not had problems with birds wanting to sleep there.

Back
Top Bottom