2 Roos Were Buddies Now Fight Constantly

chickenmomma2

Chirping
7 Years
May 27, 2012
I have 2 roos hatched at the same time about 5-6 months ago. They are both very obnoxious to the hens so they have been segregated from the rest of the chickens in a "bachelor run/coop". They have been living together fine for the past three months. But, 3 days ago they started fighting. (It was almost a full moon)I let one roo out of the run but he stays on the outside of the the bachelor run. They have been trying to fight each other thru the fence. Even yesterday when it poured rain all day the one roo stayed in the pouring rain on the other side of the fence beside the other roo. It appears they have stopped fighting but I'm afraid they will start again if I put the roo back in. Suggestions?

It seems like you have a power struggle for the top bird in the flock. The pecking order is nasty business at times... I had two banty roos in with 6 regular sized hens. They would go back and forth with who was the top bird until I had to get rid of them for attacking me when I went to feed them. (One would distract you while the other would spur you from behind!) You could put one in the pen with the hens and keep one separate. Or you could divide your hens up between the two of them. If you have enough hens and room 6 to 10 hens will do per rooster or less if he is content and not rubbing the feathers off of the hens he has.

It sounds as if they will have to be separated from now on. Allowed to free range with enough hens, they might work out a truce.

Thanks. Elvis, the one in the bachelor run, is too obnoxious to let near the hens. They get stressed when he is around. So, looks like he will live in the bachelor run and Fred will get the opportunity to free range if he can tear himself away from Elvis.

Haha, reminds me of my two big roosters. They were from the same clutch of eggs, and have been buddies for a while. When we first got them, if I held one and the other was on the ground, they would make these cute noises trying to call out to each other. They were inseparable.

But they are fully grown, and usually don't have problems, but they have fights often, but the weaker Amber Sexlink eventually chickens out during it but he'll start many of the fights. One day, they were at each other non-stop, but, they seem to get along now but have their fighting moments. Still, my hens are on top of the pecking order with them. Has been like that since my ISA Brown practically mauled them when first introduced.

Sounds like it's time for rooster soup. Animals are supposed to be a pleasure to keep, not this much of a problem.

Young roosters fight. It's TCB (typical chicken behavior) Unless one's cringing in the corner getting flogged to unconsciousness don't worry about it. They'll estlablish their pecking order and settle down eventually, unless one is just a natural born killer.
If you find the chicken violence distastful, then one of them needs to go.

hello i Have 2 Big RoOS they are brothers they free Range every day they have been buddies forever until the other day lol they fought on and off all day..that was about 2weeks ago..They havent fought since and they still free range together every day strange ROOS LOL

Back
Top Bottom