New rooster - how to join flock?

Hen-She

Chirping
Mar 16, 2023
West Michigan
Hello - Just over a week ago I got a 3 month old roo to join my 3 month old hens, 8 of them. We have had them separated by fencing in the coop so they are able to see each other and eat side by side. Yes, there have been scuffles at the fence/feed area as expected. The hens free range during afternoon and roo has open area to the whole run at this time. Yesterday we let everyone in the run placing branches and pallets in the run for getaway areas. This roo is very friendly. He does not know how to roost, he’s flat footed.The boss hen chases him to the corner then others join in and corner him on both side. We placed him in the hen house at night so they would be together, hopefully ease into it. How long does acceptance take? At free range time he access to leave but he stays in, on his side of the run.

In cases like this, it is an important distinction to understand that you do not, in fact, have a rooster and hens. What you have is a cockerel and pullets. They are immature and inexperienced.

He is still considered an interloper. You've done everything right so far (except for not quarantining him for 30 days first). It takes months to fully integrate. And his hormones have no doubt started to surge. When they take over his mind, he will start going after the pullets to breed. They are never ready when the cockerel is. You may need to isolate him in the same fashion again if he starts to harass the pullets. Once they start laying, they too will be sexually mature and ready for his attention.

Thanks for your reply. I misspoke, all of them are 18 weeks now and we have received a couple eggs. I guess we will continue with what we are doing. I hope he will soon leave the run with flock. We shall see . . .
I appreciate you encouragement! Thank you

Yes, I’m sorry, I can see it’s confusing. I’ll start the first line again.
Just over a week ago I added an 18 week old rooster to my 18 week old hens.

The rest is as stated. Hope I cleared the muddy water😉

Back
Top Bottom