2 sick hens

Sqhomestead

In the Brooder
Jan 23, 2018
Hello again byc owners! I have 2 hens that are both dealing with issues that don't seem related . 1 is my black australorp, no idea on her age, that keeps getting the same nare plugged and bubbly eye in the same eye, rattling, coughing, sneezing. I posted about her on here already and have been getting great advice . The other hen is my light Brahma, also no idea on her age. I took them in last October from someone in a desperate situation . They had not been properly cares for at all. We've been treating them both since getting them. The Brahma has a severe case of vent gleet. We've done the molasses flush, probiotics and anti fungal cream for weeks with no improvement. We started them both on antibiotics, both on metronidizole, per the advice of another byc owner and vet tech . That was 3 days ago. The black australorp now has runny, watery diarrhea. She is still active and still eating and drinking. The Brahma with vent gleet isn't doing well at all. Very lethargic. I've seen her drinking and eating a little. And last night when I picked up the black australorp , clear fluid came pouring from her mouth. I'm just at a loss.

Hello again byc owners! I have 2 hens that are both dealing with issues that don't seem related . 1 is my black australorp, no idea on her age, that keeps getting the same nare plugged and bubbly eye in the same eye, rattling, coughing, sneezing. I posted about her on here already and have been getting great advice . The other hen is my light Brahma, also no idea on her age. I took them in last October from someone in a desperate situation . They had not been properly cares for at all. We've been treating them both since getting them. The Brahma has a severe case of vent gleet. We've done the molasses flush, probiotics and anti fungal cream for weeks with no improvement. We started them both on antibiotics, both on metronidizole, per the advice of another byc owner and vet tech . That was 3 days ago. The black australorp now has runny, watery diarrhea. She is still active and still eating and drinking. The Brahma with vent gleet isn't doing well at all. Very lethargic. I've seen her drinking and eating a little. And last night when I picked up the black australorp , clear fluid came pouring from her mouth. I'm just at a loss.

Okay, I don't know about the Brahma, but the bubbly-eyed Australorp sounds like later stages of coryza. There's some info here: https://poultrykeeper.com/respiratory-problems/mycoplasma/
My new hen had the same (though we caught it early, so while the other symptoms match up we haven't encountered the clear fluid yet). We took her to the vet who prescribed Lincospectin Solu Powder which we mix into her water. I'm not sure if it's available on the market or only through a vet, so you may need to research that or some alternative. My advice; keep both hens warm and dry if you can and take them to a vet if you haven't already. It's pricey, I know, but it might be your best shot at saving them if it's getting too bad.

This her nare today and the other pic is yesterday.. she is getting triple antibiotic ointment on the nare itself and metronidizole orally.

Attachments

• 20180403_112134.jpg
    20180403_112134.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 3
This was last night
I see. Yeah, this looks much worse than what I've got. If she's taking that much medication already I'm really not sure what more you should do. My only advice is to see the vet about their worsening condition, or maybe find a site online where you can talk to a professional? I've found this one: https://www.petcoach.co/ But a quick google search for 'online vet advice' showed a lot more. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck!

I see. Yeah, this looks much worse than what I've got. If she's taking that much medication already I'm really not sure what more you should do. My only advice is to see the vet about their worsening condition, or maybe find a site online where you can talk to a professional? I've found this one: https://www.petcoach.co/ But a quick google search for 'online vet advice' showed a lot more. Sorry I can't be of more help. Good luck!

She's been to the vet once in Jan. She doesn't act a bit sick. She still lays almost daily and forages and clucks along . If it wasn't for the coughinf, sneezing, rattling,.bubbly eye and clogged nare, you'd never know a thing was wrong with her lol and it's been exactly like this since Nov. A friend of mine thinks she has blockage in the nare, a piece of corn or something, that the bet that saw her didn't see and didn't get, and that is causing all her issues. I'm hoping that's the case too.

Back
Top Bottom