2 Silkie Roosters with 1 Silkie Hen...Uh Oh? or Oh yea?

CALI CHICK

Songster
8 Years
Apr 27, 2011
Rio Linda, CA
We had to give away 2 of our Silkie Roosters who have been together since they hatched. The ranch that took them has only one Silkie hen. When we placed them in the coop, at first the 2 roos stayed away from all the other chickens. As I checked on them later in the day, I observed the little hen walking around the roosters (like she was checking them out) and she would duck down between them and walk around them again. This behavior was so interesting and hopeful as it made me wonder if this was HER way of "flirting" with them or just letting them (or one of them) know that she was submissive to them? She has been laying for a few months, and my roosters have been crowing for almost 2 months. All three of these Silkies are between 6-8 months old. My questions are:

1. Was this little hen indeed flirting with her 2 new suiters?
2. Are they (the roosters) old enough to begin breeding at 6 months?
3. Will BOTH of the roosters breed with her or will only the more dominant rooster have that privelege (like the lions in the jungle)?
4. If they BOTH try to breed with her, will they become arch enemies and hurt her and each other? In the past, they get the pecking order sorted first thing in the morning and then they were fine until the next morning. Fortunately these Silkies aren't as aggresive as many chicken breeds.

My son was hoping to buy back one of the offspring to have a show quality hen (Not even sure if that'll be a possibility), so we'll hopefully keep in touch with the ranch and see the results.

Here is a picture of our 2 roos:
88993_dscf1062.jpg

She is the little Silkie in the center of photo:
88993_dscf1083.jpg

Two cockerels with 1 pullet will eat that pullet alive. They will both breed her several times a day. Folks normally use cockerels over several hens as they are more aggressive breeders due to age. The cockerels will likely squabble off and on for a while, but if ur lucky they will get along ok, but that pullet will get bred to death.

Look at the picture folks, there are lots of pullets there.

1) Yes, she was checking them out.
2)Yes, at 6 months old they are mature enough to be fertile.
3)Yes, both will or attempt to breed her unless one beats the tar out of the other.
4)They may or may not continue to get along.
5)I'm no expert, but I doubt that you ccan raise SQ offspring from that hen.

Stoopid - The coop they are in actually has other [younger] birds with them, so it isn't just the "little silkie love triangle". I don't know what breed or age the other chickens are, but maybe in time each rooster will divide them up among themselves.

GotGame - you mentioned that the roosters would possibly over-breed the hen. Is that true for Silkies too? I may be showing my ignorance here, but I was hoping Silkies were not so aggressive.

Debbi - I had to give my 2 roosters away. The ranch owner was happy to accept BOTH roos because he knew them to be a more gentle breed.

Also, does anyone know at what age Silkie roosters become "interested" or capable of breeding? These 2 roos were previously at my friends' pasture with her 3 hens...and they wouldn't even go near the 3 hens. If the girls got too close, they would run away like they had the cooties!
hide.gif

I was hoping for a Silkie answer to your question. I have 3 Silkies, raised from day 1 together. They are my only chickens and I think my straight run gamble may have produced 1 hen and 2 roos. They are only 9 weeks old and still live indoors with me until winter is over. Should I try to find pullets (which is close to impossible) or will their gentle nature and being raised together make it ok?

Back
Top Bottom