2 unusual winter questions

I have an open air coop...and I do nothing different to in in our fake winter time. My chickens adjust to our weather drops way better than I do.

Don't worry too much... They will be just fine.
OMG, I knew someone was from Texas but I couldn't think. :old Now I feel dumb. :thI'm chalking it up to old age and a recent knee replacement. :)

Don't seal your coop, even when it gets cold. Moisture can develop and you could have frost bite problems. For the winter, I put plexiglass over the hardware cloth door to stop drafts, but leave the 3" gap all around the roof line. Also for the winter, I replace the LED bulb with a regular bulb and run the light in the coop until about 2100. I've heard that keeping the chickens in the light until later helps them lay eggs until deeper in the Winter. My girls slowed down last Winter, but they never quit laying. I'm in the DFW area.

View attachment 1582650

Last edited:
On the foraging. I grew up in Tennessee and kept chickens in Arkansas, both probably colder than anything you will see. Occasional times of below zero Fahrenheit. As long as the ground is not covered with snow they will still find a lot of things to forage on.

When it first snows they are likely to be afraid of it, but if it sticks around a few days mine would go out and forage with a few plants sticking up out of the snow. Or scratch under trees or bushes or inside barns where there was not snow on the ground. They will probably rely more on what you fed them in winter but don't count them out as far as foraging some.

Also for the winter, I replace the LED bulb with a regular bulb and run the light in the coop until about 2100. I've heard that keeping the chickens in the light until later helps them lay eggs until deeper in the Winter.
2100 meaning 9pm?
Additional light will stimulate the pineal gland and trick their bodies into laying through winter, yes. But usually it's more effective to add the extra light hours to early morning before the sun rises. The schedule will have to be adjusted frequently to maintain at least 14-16 hours of light and 8-10 hrs of darkness. If light is added to the evening hours, chickens will stay up later hanging out in the bright coop, not realizing when it's getting close to bed time. If the light shuts off suddenly, many chickens can get confused and never make it to the roost safely.

I personally don't use supplemental lighting in winter, I like to let them experience their natural molt and "vacation" time off from laying.

I was just thinking since I have no idea how your coop is built. one generic suggestion is nail some 2x4s on the corners and then nail some cheap tarps over them that way it would block the wind from blowing straight in the coop but would let air in. you might need to make it 2 or 3 times deep on the boards (4x4 or 6x4) to allow for air flow and keep drafts to a minimum....

Back
Top Bottom