2 week Ameraucanas (or Easter Eggers) pics

hillbillygreen

Songster
12 Years
Apr 22, 2008
Central Illinois
Hi,

I've got 6 cheepers... named them all as they hatched and looks like I'm off if I'm right. See if you guess like I'm guessing:

Wilbur (I love this photo! And his/her fluffy cheeks!):
Picture145.jpg

(and a full body of Wilbur:
Picture107.jpg

Tillie and Millie (respectively)... and yes, Millie's comb is pinking up
Picture144.jpg

Edith
Picture079.jpg

Darcy (in the foreground) Witherwings black one in background
Picture089.jpg

Darcy/Witherwings/Edith (counterclockwise from front)
Picture143.jpg

Darcy has the least feathers... Millie has the biggest, pinkest comb.

Thanks for looking!

If Millie's comb is pinking up already, that would more than likely make her a Millard.

3 week old EE pullet...

47b7d738b3127ccebd36bf77d48500000025100FYtm7ho2Y-

3 week old EE cockeral...

47b7d738b3127ccebd36be9f94f500000025100FYtm7ho2Y-

They are gorgeous, by the way!
big_smile.png

Hope this is some help!

Dawn

Thanks for posting your photos!

Cool birds! They don't look very similar to mine though... maybe mine are Ameraucana... they have tail feathers so I think that rules out Araucana. My dad got the eggs on a rabbit show raffle and the owners told him Araucana... so who knows!

How long before I can be really certain? Does someone have to lay an egg before we know?

Do tillie, millie(millard), darcy, edith and white wing have single combs? Or do my eyes play trick on me? If so they are def EEs, also since Peacomb and the blue egg gene kinda go together chances are those single combed girls will lay brown eggs.

Cool birds! They don't look very similar to mine though... maybe mine are Ameraucana... they have tail feathers so I think that rules out Araucana. My dad got the eggs on a rabbit show raffle and the owners told him Araucana... so who knows

EE's being crossbreeds 2 will rarely look alike. If they were purebred Amers the owner would not call them by the wrong name cause every breeder of the real ameraucana breed I bet gives this great speech about the difference between Ameraucana, Araucana, and Easter eggers to any potential buyers(I know I do)!

Anna​

Yep, I don't see anyone with anything other than single combs. And these pics are from last week. I need to take some today as it's 3 weeks today for everyone.

Is it just a rule of thumb that they'll lay brown? Wilbur and Darcy hatched out of blue if that makes any difference. The others did hatch out of brown... which was my first suspicion of EEs. Aren't the Ameraucana's all blue?

Ameraucanas are supposed to lay blue eggs, but due to the crossing in of EEs into some bloodlines of pure ameraucanas(due to lack of knowledge that there is a difference) and by using other breeds to create certain colour varieties some bloodlines of purebred ameraucanas will lay blue, turquoise and even green eggs(those are getting rarer now since breeders work really hard breeding out the brown egg gene that causes the green eggs). Ameraucanas do not lay brown eggs.

I have been told Silver Ameraucanas tend to lay the best blue eggs.
I am struggling with my silver blues and birchens a bit cause they lay minty turquoise eggs for the most part, I do get a nice blue egg from one hen though, thats the only egg that makes it into the bator.

As for laying brown eggs, I say that because the gene for the blue shell is normally related with the peacomb. so since your chicks lack the peacomb the chances of them laying blue or green eggs are reduced. Not impossible but greately reduced.

I hatched a bunch(10 or so) of AmeraucanaXBlack sexlink chicks 2 yrs ago, all had single combs(and beards, so adorable) and only one of the hens lays an olive green egg, all others lay brown eggs.

Last edited:
Oh well, these guys are just for laying and not breeding, since I'm in a rural town and will have to move out any roos anyway.

I think for all the effort of building a chicken tractor etc, if all goes well with this round I would love to get some pure Ameraucana's though. I think the eggs and the chickens are just beautiful!

We'll cross that bridge later...

You're great help fancyfowl! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom