1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

2 Week Old Chick Treat Question

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Shiphted, Apr 19, 2011.

1. Shiphted

Shiphted Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2011
    So I was looking at the treat list on this website for chickens. Majority of my chickens are 2 weeks old and growing fast. But im curious can i feed them Mealworms and crickets now? Also besides scratch is there anything on that list that a chick shouldnt have til he/she is older? Incase someone reads this that doesnt know what list im talking about it is right here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

Also if there is a lot of items that chicks cannot have til they are adults anyway BYC could add a safe treat list for Chicks also.

Thanks in advance for replies.[​IMG]

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Chicks, when raised by a broody, (or in the wild, for that matter) will eat whatever their momma tells them to.

In general, you want to keep them away from empty calories, or greeny-stuff that may give them the runs.

Best treats for young chicks are yogurt and scrambled eggs.

3. Shiphted

Apr 12, 2011
    So would Mealworms and Crickets be fine every once in a while, like 2-3 times a month be fine? I want to go get crickets tomorrow and see them go nuts. I just want to make sure its safe?

Thanks for the speedy reply btw.

4. SunnyCalifornia

SunnyCalifornia Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 8, 2010
    Escondido CA
    They love crickets. Don't overload them, but they are certainly an appropriate treat. Mine never liked much elseuntil they got older.... kinda like human kids. LOL.

5. Shiphted

Apr 12, 2011
    Awesome thanks sunny. Yea my chickens where hilarious to watch when i diced up a apple for them. (no seeds) Was funny watching 1 run with a piece in its mouth and then another way comes by and steals it and goes the other way. rinse and repeat. So funny.

6. earnhardtlvr

earnhardtlvr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Hagerstown, MD
    I'm a newbie, [​IMG] but I brought home crickets over the past weekend (my chicks are between 1-3 weeks old) and watched the 26 peeps devor 36 crickets in like 30 seconds! [​IMG] No ill effects that I can tell! [​IMG] They have been catching stink bugs [​IMG] and moths that have flown into the brooder on their own! [​IMG] LOL Hilarious! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by