2 Week Old Chick Treat Question

Shiphted

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 12, 2011
So I was looking at the treat list on this website for chickens. Majority of my chickens are 2 weeks old and growing fast. But im curious can i feed them Mealworms and crickets now? Also besides scratch is there anything on that list that a chick shouldnt have til he/she is older? Incase someone reads this that doesnt know what list im talking about it is right here.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-Treats_Chart

Also if there is a lot of items that chicks cannot have til they are adults anyway BYC could add a safe treat list for Chicks also.

Thanks in advance for replies.
big_smile.png

Chicks, when raised by a broody, (or in the wild, for that matter) will eat whatever their momma tells them to.

In general, you want to keep them away from empty calories, or greeny-stuff that may give them the runs.

Best treats for young chicks are yogurt and scrambled eggs.

So would Mealworms and Crickets be fine every once in a while, like 2-3 times a month be fine? I want to go get crickets tomorrow and see them go nuts. I just want to make sure its safe?

Thanks for the speedy reply btw.

They love crickets. Don't overload them, but they are certainly an appropriate treat. Mine never liked much elseuntil they got older.... kinda like human kids. LOL.

Awesome thanks sunny. Yea my chickens where hilarious to watch when i diced up a apple for them. (no seeds) Was funny watching 1 run with a piece in its mouth and then another way comes by and steals it and goes the other way. rinse and repeat. So funny.

I'm a newbie,
jumpy.gif
but I brought home crickets over the past weekend (my chicks are between 1-3 weeks old) and watched the 26 peeps devor 36 crickets in like 30 seconds!
lau.gif
No ill effects that I can tell!
hu.gif
They have been catching stink bugs
sickbyc.gif
and moths that have flown into the brooder on their own!
celebrate.gif
LOL Hilarious!
gig.gif

Back
Top Bottom