My broody wants to rejoin the flock. Babies 4 days old.

TheRusticRebel

Songster
Apr 24, 2019
South Carolina, USA
My broody was pacing back and forth in her little run this morning when i let them out. The brooder coop and run is attached to the main coop and the main run is about 4k sq ft. Not covered. It butts against cow pasture. I have chicken wire over the cattle fence on that side. Regular welded wire fence on 2 sides that butt against my backyard and 6 ft privacy fence that spans the front yard side. I have chicken wire spanning the bottom of that fence to block the gap between the fence and the ground.

So im worried though that the chicks will get lost or into the cow pasture or the backyard...i cpuld check on them throught the day today and tomorrow but during the week i work till 130 and dh may not check on them as much.

I was hoping to wait til they were over a week old and bigger so i was sure they couldnt get through the chicken wire into the cow pasture.

Also will they be safe from other hens and the rooster? Shes a mean mama so im sure she will protect them...ugh im worried.

Also will they be safe from other hens and the rooster? Shes a mean mama so im sure she will protect them
This won't be an issue.

Broodies do not tend to wander too far from structure the first several days when they first take their chicks out. How many does she have?
I think the chicks will have a hard time getting through the chicken wire.
I would let her out and monitor and check several times a day to see how she's doing.
Because of the rooster in the flock I assume you already feed an all flock type of feed with oyster shell on the side so the broody will have something appropriate to feed the chicks.

This won't be an issue.

Broodies do not tend to wander too far from structure the first several days when they first take their chicks out. How many does she have?
I think the chicks will have a hard time getting through the chicken wire.
I would let her out and monitor and check several times a day to see how she's doing.
Because of the rooster in the flock I assume you already feed an all flock type of feed with oyster shell on the side so the broody will have something appropriate to feed the chicks.
Yes they get a grower crumble with oyster shell and i also feed back crushed egg shell.

She has 5.

Back
Top Bottom