2 week old chick with long stem caught in crop

prinellie

Songster
9 Years
Sep 24, 2014
I found one of my 2 week old Barnavelder chicks with a long something stuck in her throat/crop. I cannot see it from her beak. Am going to take her to the vet and let them cut her open unless someone can give me a better choice. It feels like it is just under the skin in her throat about and inch, maybe 1-1/2) down. Has anyone ever operated on this?

Here's what to do. Get some oil into the chick immediately. Coconut oil is easiest because you can slip solid bits into the beak without risking aspiration. But mineral oil or olive oil will do.

Coating the stem with oil should permit it to slide on out of the crop and make it's way through the intestines and get pooped out in a few hours.

After administering the first half teaspoon of oil, massage the crop for a few seconds very gently. give the chick a rest and in half an hour administer another half teaspoon of oil, massage for a few seconds and wait for the stem to show up in the poop.

During this, provide fresh water to the chick to drink. Chances are it will feel the need to try to wash this stem on down the digestive track.

Make sure it is not her trachea, since the bony covering can feel like a little hose. It would be like the adam’s apple in humans. I recently was treating a hen whi had lost a lot of weight and was suffering from sour crop. Her tracheal bones were so prominent, I had never felt it before.

Thanks but too late... I took her in and they removed a 2 inch long by 1/2 inch seed head. However it was pressed against the trachea and she died. Thanks though everyone! I wish we had more chicken vets! I had to talk them into trying at least...

I don’t think it ever would have gone on down... not only because it was so big but also because the ‘nap’ if you will was going against going down if you know what I mean...

Yes, and talking takes time that with airway occlusion you don't have... So sorry for your loss...:hugs
Thanks. I’m glad she wasn’t any older and real attachment hadn’t happened yet. I love all my animals tho and it’s always sad. I got these barnavelders to try... I have BO’s... and one came dead. One died the first day, and one has wry neck that I’m trying to dr. Don’t think I will get any more from that hatchery... or a different kind I’m sticking with my buffs!

Back
Top Bottom