2 week old chicks (and Mama) out with rest of flock ?

brennansmom

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
Connecticut
I just could not keep Mama and 7- ( 2 week old) babies separate in the coop any more. Jane (Mama) is the alpha hen and I am hoping that fact gives the chicks extra protection. So far the other hens steer clear of them. The lower ranking hens have been attacked for coming too near. Has anyone else just thrown caution to the wind and let them sort it out? She is a very good Mama and seems to be unfazed about the babies mingling with everyone else. Any thoughts? Thanks.
idunno.gif

My broodies do their business in a wire cage inside the coop. I keep them shut off in there until the chicks hatch, dry out and get running around. Once they've all found their feet, I open the door and mama will bring them out when she's ready. My broodies usually spend about 3-4 days scratching around inside the coop with their babies, then they'll take them outside. I would think your babies will be fine at 2 weeks old :) good luck!

My momma silkie brought hers out at about that age and 3 weeks later momma got injured and at 5 weeks old the quints as we called them hung out they would come and go in the coop and learned so much watching everyone else and at 10 weeks old they were able to go to their new home with no problem

Back
Top Bottom