2 week old Cornish X dying

Sgbj

In the Brooder
Sep 28, 2019
Hello all,

I've been having trouble with some CX chicks dying. They are between 1 and 2 weeks old. I started with 24, am now down to 20 with a couple others showing worrying signs.

Symptoms are this, panting, wings out a little, beak opening and shutting, not walking real well(before not walking at all) and just acting sleepy and not active. They seem to go downhill very quickly, going from walking to dead in as little as 30mins. The sick ones are also hanging round the heat lamp and it seems to be the biggest birds having the problems.

I don't know exactly what the broader temp is but have been adjusting the lamp height based on what the chickens look comfortable with.

Any ideas what might be wrong??

Thanks

Hello all,

I've been having trouble with some CX chicks dying. They are between 1 and 2 weeks old. I started with 24, am now down to 20 with a couple others showing worrying signs.

Symptoms are this, panting, wings out a little, beak opening and shutting, not walking real well(before not walking at all) and just acting sleepy and not active. They seem to go downhill very quickly, going from walking to dead in as little as 30mins. The sick ones are also hanging round the heat lamp and it seems to be the biggest birds having the problems.

I don't know exactly what the broader temp is but have been adjusting the lamp height based on what the chickens look comfortable with.

Any ideas what might be wrong??

Thanks
I feel for ya, I am following because I want to know what this is too. Never had this happen to me with CX. I have a feeling someone with a lot of experience will pop in and respond before long.

The temperature seems ok by that picture.

How do their droppings look? Any diarrhea? If yes, it could be something like cocci.

Finally where did you get these chicks? Did problems start immediately, or only after you had been brooding them for a few days.

The temperature seems ok by that picture.

How do their droppings look? Any diarrhea? If yes, it could be something like cocci.

Finally where did you get these chicks? Did problems start immediately, or only after you had been brooding them for a few days.

I can't say I've paid too much attention to their droppings but I think there may be a bit of diarrhoea. The feed is medicated tho...
Will have a better look.

Back
Top Bottom