2 weeks old baby chicks not keeping their balance and too weak to stand on their feet

natalina1

Chirping
6 Years
Aug 4, 2013
Please help.

I recently ordered 11 baby chicks from Cackle Hatchery and all arrived safe and sound. I also paid for them to vaccinate them all against Mareck disease. However, 2 weeks later I noticed three of them falling over themselves and not wanting to stand at all. As if they are too weak to be on their feed. I don't know what to do anymore.

I have isolated them from the rest of the other baby chicks because they were being stepped over and I wanted to avoid any injuries being done to them. However today is the 3rd day I've noticed no change at all with them. They are certainly not worsening but also not improving. Other than scooting down and laying on their side, they look alert. I have watched them eat, which seems to be fine. But drinking seems to be down. So I put them close to the waterer and slightly put the very tip of their peak in the water and then they drink.

All of the baby chicks have been kept inside my house at 95 decree temperature. I feel they are too young to be out side quite yet. They have all been fed "Purina Start & Grow" Medicated feed, and fresh water daily, since they arrived. The other 8 baby chicks have shown no sign of this and seem to be doing very well. I just don't understand what is wrong with these 3. Please someone help maybe I'm not giving them additional supplements?

Has anyone seen this before or heard of this before? They were fine the first 2 weeks and now they are not. Please help, is there someone here on this forum that can direct me on how to get more info on this, I would much appreciate it. Thank you all, Ivana

They might have a vitamin deficiency. Get some infant polyvisol vitamins (without iron), and start giving each of them 1-2 drops each day. See if this helps. Vitamin B and E deficiencies can cause inability to walk/stand, as well as some paralysis.

Continue making sure that they are getting enough to eat and drink. Dip their beaks in the water several times a day, and watch them to see if they are eating. Giving them scrambled eggs would give them some good nutrients. To give them more energy, you could try some sugar water, and putting electrolytes and probiotics in the water would be a good idea.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for your advice. Where would I find these vitamin drops? At the feed stores or do I need to contact an Avian Vet?

Thank you so much for your advice. Where will I find these vitamin drops? At my local feed store or do I need to seek an Avian Vet for them? Please let me know. Thank you.

Thank you so much for your advice. Where will I find these vitamin drops? At my local feed store or do I need to seek an Avian Vet for them? Please let me know. Thank you.
The polyvisol vitamins can probably just be found at your local grocery store. I've never had to purchase them myself, so I'm not 100% sure, but you can definitely try there. As for probiotics and electrolytes, you should be able to find these at your feed store. Save-a-Chick is a common type of electrolyte.

We're going through a similar situation with our 3 week old Brahma. Polyvisol is a common liquid vitamin for infants/children and can be purchased at most grocery stores as well as WalMart and Target. I have been told by other members that vitamins will cancel out the cocci preventives in the medicated feed so be sure to keep a clean area for these chicks. We've seen slight improvements in ours using the polyvisol. Good luck!!

Thank you for sharing your experience. It's interesting, 2 of the 3 baby chicks with these symptoms are light brahma. I wonder, if it's breed related? I will pick up the Polyvisol today and hope to see some improvements. Thank you again, Ivana

Back
Top Bottom