2 wk old chick developing scissor beak

OzarkEgghead

Songster
8 Years
Oct 8, 2015
I have seventeen 2 wk old Easter Egger chicks I'm raising indoors. They all appeared normal at 1 day old. I've noticed one of them is only HALF the size of the others so I singled her out today & inspected her closely. I was shocked & dismayed to see she was already developing scissor beak. I've raised chickens for 8.5 yrs now & have never run into this before so I'm CLUELESS what to do for her...or even if she can survive seeing as how quickly it's developing.

She appears quite active & feisty & with a strong will to live. That said, I don't want her to suffer if there's no hope for her. I'm going to try attaching a picture so you can assess how bad it is.
20230816_174704.jpg

That's pretty bad for so young. If it were mine, I'd put it down because it gets worse as they age and it's already substantially crossed.
When I noticed she was so badly crossed at just 2 weeks, I was afraid that would be her fate. I'm going to call my vet tomorrow & see what she says. If she thinks we can do something to help her, I will. She euthanized a badly injured adult hen for me so I suppose she could do the same for this little one if there's no hope, though.

Thought I'd give an update on my scissor-beaked EE chick. She'll be 4 weeks old on Monday. From what I can tell, the scissoring doesn't appear to have gotten any worse. She's still smaller than the other chicks hatched the same day but she seems to have caught up a little. I moved them to the coop last weekend. They're separated from the adult hens with a hardware cloth pen with a hardware cloth roof but they can see each other & I have not noted any aggressiveness from the adult hens. The chicks seem fascinated with the adult hens & I see them watching then mirroring the older hens' scratching & rooting behaviors. I was half afraid to move them...especially the scissor-beak.... because we've had horribly hot, humid weather ("feels like" temps no lower than 75F but as high as 113F) and I was afraid it would stress them too much. I kept a good eye on them for heat stress & provided them a shallow dish of water to use as a wading pool where they could splash around & cool off if needed. My fears about the heat were unfounded as they've all done very well & the scissor-beak actually seems to be THRIVING in the high heat. Despite her disability, she seems to be learning how to compensate. Where the other chicks peck lightly at their feed, I see her driving her beak deeper into the feed and kind of scooping it up. I make sure to keep the feed dish filled pretty deep so she can really get down into it for easier scooping. I noticed her feathers were a bit tatty & she wasn't preening herself before I put them out there & now I'm seeing her preening & her feathers are almost completely normal. I've also seen her using that offset lower beak as a kind of "ladle" to scoop up water. I don't know if the scissoring will shorten her lifespan or not but I'm going to give her every chance that I can for a long, full life. The only thing I'll do different for her is that she will be kept in a pen with other hens ONLY...no making whoopie with the rooster because I don't want to risk passing on the scissor-beak to other generations.

Back
Top Bottom