2 wk old chick keeping head tucked & walking backward only

james040

Hatching
10 Years
Jun 14, 2009
two weeks ago 9 vaccinated chicks from mypetchicken arrived including this rhode island red that until today was behaving normally. all other chicks continue to act normally.

today I noticed that this chick was keeping its head tucked down between its legs and walking backward only. mostly it backs into a corner and remains still, keeping its head tucked. some loud chirping but not incessant. it can raise its head but does not.

I don't notice any other signs or symptoms.

they all live in the basement in a chicken wire cage with a heating lamp. appear to be growing normally with organic feed and fresh water.

have quarantined with available food and water.

can't seem to find any answers on the web. any ideas what is wrong with this chick?

appreciate any help.

Had this and just saw another post about this...wry neck I do believe. Low vitamin content. Usually vitamin E.

Try some liquid vitamin drops -Poly-vi-sol- (no iron) and maybe some plain yogurt! I also think taking him/her out to get some sun daily would be good as well.

eta: Give them 3 days from the time you start treating to see a change. Its not an overnight cure.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom