2 year old hen stumbling - any ideas?

baileybrood

Chirping
7 Years
Jun 21, 2012
North Carolina
My 2 year old barred rock started stumbling as if drunk yesterday morning. It started as soon as she came out of the coop in the morning. We have had a lot of extreme cold and snow here in the south lately and my flock has not been venturing out of their pen. Theyve been staying in their covered pen or under the coop for days.

The day before the stumbling began, I found 3 small droplets of blood on an overhang roof but couldn't find anyone with an injury. Now I wonder if it was this hen.

Stumbling but walking around
Drinking water but haven't seen her eat much
Screamed when I picked her up which is unusual for her
Looks like she's lost some weight
Has a bald spot about 6" diameter near her bum
Poop was loose green with white spot (no worms seen)

Vent area looks ok
Have been giving her Epsom salt water by dropper since yesterday(in case botulism)
Gave her nutri-drench
Going to give her some scrambled eggs this morning for protein
She did eat some mealworms last night

Is there anything else I cam do? Could it be head trauma? I feel so bad for her.

Thanks so much for any advice you can give.

My 2 year old barred rock started stumbling as if drunk yesterday morning. It started as soon as she came out of the coop in the morning. We have had a lot of extreme cold and snow here in the south lately and my flock has not been venturing out of their pen. Theyve been staying in their covered pen or under the coop for days.

The day before the stumbling began, I found 3 small droplets of blood on an overhang roof but couldn't find anyone with an injury. Now I wonder if it was this hen.

Vent area looks ok
Have been giving her Epsom salt water by dropper since yesterday(in case botulism)
Gave her nutri-drench

Is there anything else I cam do? Could it be head trauma? I feel so bad for her.

I would not give her epsom salt flush,this can cause dehydration and b/c she is not eating not a good idea. Green poop is from not eating. Check her for crop issues such as an impact,to check for crop issues check crop in the evening(should be full,after eating all day)check in the morning(before eating)should be empty. For sour crop,crop may feel squishy and there might be a foul smell coming from mouth.Bring her inside,keep her warm and monitor her.

Check her over carefully for any wounds,look under wings,lift up feathers,look around vent. Bald spot around vent,is there any signs of mites/lice? Any discharge from vent?

Worms are not usually noticeable in droppings.

While the cold does cause problems for some birds,her weight loss is not a symptom of the cold weather,something else is going on.

Last edited:

Vent area looks ok
Gave her nutri-drench

My hens did this when they had URI.(Upper Respritory Infection) You can buy the medicine at co-op, that's where I buy mine and it called Terravet. It's in a green pouch the midi one is yellow powder that you mix a tablespoon with their water as their only water supplies for two weeks.

Crop was not very full last night.

No discharge near vent. Have not seen any mites.

She has been molting lately along with one other barred rock. The other br has flushed out with new feathers already though.

I'll stop the Epsom salt and try getting her to eat more. I'll bring her inside so I can keep a better eye on her. I didn't because I don't want to stress her more by taking her away from the flock. I'll give her another thorough look over then too.

I wish I could figure out where those blood droplets came from

Thanks for the advice.

With regard to the drops of blood, check all combs for pecking damage. I found a group of blood drops in my coop and couldn't figure out where it came from until I noticed two small scabs on one comb. The girls had been pecking at each other and that was the source of the blood.

Back
Top Bottom