2 year old Isa brown, lethargic clicking sound when held

PisstartTheGroot

Chirping
Dec 30, 2018
Wisconsin, United States
My Isa brown (Cinnabun) seemed pretty off when I went outside, lethargic, labored breathin, tough bell, reluctant to walk, puffed up feathers, she does have mites pretty bad but I have treated her for them alread. She has a clicking sound when she breathes in on her left side. I gave her an epsom salt soak earlier as well

What are you using to treat the mites? Can you please check her over to see if they are gone or still on her body?

If your hen is in distress, then I would not put her in water again.
Photos of her and her poop may be helpful.

What are you using to treat the mites? Can you please check her over to see if they are gone or still on her body?

If your hen is in distress, then I would not put her in water again.
Photos of her and her poop may be helpful.
I’m using ivermectin, she just got treated this morning after I noticed she was acting off so she still has quite a bit of mites.
I haven’t seen her poop yet today, but when she does I’ll make sure to get a pic of it!

Attachments

• 0A33F04F-E83C-4614-B281-92C572205643.jpeg
    0A33F04F-E83C-4614-B281-92C572205643.jpeg
    546.5 KB · Views: 2
If the mites are not gone by morning, then I would be inclined to give her a dusting of Permethrin Poultry Dust.

See that her crop is emptying overnight.

A video of her breathing may be helpful. Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

If the mites are not gone by morning, then I would be inclined to give her a dusting of Permethrin Poultry Dust.

See that her crop is emptying overnight.

A video of her breathing may be helpful. Upload video to youtube and provide a link.
it might be really hard to hear but here’s a video of her breathing it only clicks like this when she’s exhaling when I hold her. It feels like it’s coming from under her left breast.
I also got a pic of her poop from just before I took the video

Attachments

• FC2652A5-0717-44A5-AA16-546BA2078F02.jpeg
    FC2652A5-0717-44A5-AA16-546BA2078F02.jpeg
    519.4 KB · Views: 2
Does the poop have purple in it or is that just lighting?

Does she breath normal when not being held?

Mites are gone right?

I'm not sure what's going on with her. I would keep her hydrated, see that her crop is emptying, keep on top of the mites. Poultry Vitamins like Poultry Cell would be good to give. Do check her over again for any air bubbles under the skin which you should be able to feel without really handling her too much.
If the clicking is only when held, keep the amount of handling to a minimum, only when necessary and see if that improves over the course of several days.

Does the poop have purple in it or is that just lighting?

Does she breath normal when not being held?

Mites are gone right?

I'm not sure what's going on with her. I would keep her hydrated, see that her crop is emptying, keep on top of the mites. Poultry Vitamins like Poultry Cell would be good to give. Do check her over again for any air bubbles under the skin which you should be able to feel without really handling her too much.
If the clicking is only when held, keep the amount of handling to a minimum, only when necessary and see if that improves over the course of several days.
That’s just the lighting!
She does make a little bit of noise when she’s breathing, not the clicking noise tho, and it is somewhat labored but she’s alert and more than willing to jump up on stuff. I did try and get the noise on video but it’s so faint that my mic wouldn’t pick it up!
She does still have mites but there’s less than yesterday, I was too busy to dust her today but tomorrow she will get dusted especially if they’re still there.
Thank you for all your advice!!

Back
Top Bottom