2 years of waiting I got my Nene geese! Whoohoo

Any updates on those beautiful geese?
They are doing great! We have a portion of our yard sectioned off just for them to free range during the day. We herd them into a 5x20 dog kennel at night for safety. They are calm, sweet and small little geese. I just love them
sunning.jpg

Much better having them not be able to fly than losing them. Are they friendly? aloof?
Yea especially since there is a one acre pond on our property that is completely unsecurable. They would most likely make a beeline for it and be impossible to catch.
I think had I raised them myself they would be a lot friendlier. They have settled in a lot since i got them and have gone from running in terror to the back of their pen to meeting me at the gate in the morning waiting to be let out. They allllllllmost will take a pea from my hand. They are a little too trusting and naive and I can see why they were nearly wiped out on Hawaii once people brought in predators (dogs, cats etc).
I wanted to free range them with my mixed flock of turkeys and chickens, but after 1 attempt in which the Nene fled in terror from the turkeys I said NOPE. They are far too precious to me to allow any of the other birds to terrorize them. LOL They still at times pace the fence that separates them wishing to join the flock but it's not gonna happen.
Another interesting thing about them, is that they aren't quite as water driven as other geese. They need a pool large enough to get inside and push water over their backs, but they aren't huge swimmers. Their feet are adapted to rocky surfaces and climbing around. Very cool birds.
feet.jpg

Back
Top Bottom